Possibly gfx card panicking.

Associate
I'm using sn XFX GTR RX480 XXX in an Asrock P55/usb3 mobo.Had the card a few weeks now with no problems.Last couple of days though, I've had the pc just randomly freeze. Can still hear audio & see hdd access on front panel. It can happen even when doing nothing.Few minutes ago though, it froze for couple of seconds before screen turned into white static like tvs with no signal do.Card checked & seated fine. Temps on everything fine too.

Doing a clean install of drivers just in case something balked recently.

Does this sound like dying card or mobo or what?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
What's your full spec and PSU?

Have you stress tested the GPU?

Have you recently updated the drivers - if so try rolling back...

If you have the option try using a different monitor connection - if your using DP try a different port or try an HDMI lead.

I would reseat everything and double check all connections. I would also run memtest few times to help possibly eliminate memory being the problem.

I would then disconnect all non essential drives and USB devices and run one stick of memory and see if the fault still occurs.

Do you have another gfx card you can test out?

Associate
OP
Full spec:
i7-860, 8gb memory, 1tb hdd, asrock usb pro p55 usb3 mobo, rx480, 620w 80+bronze psu, 24" monitor.
Only thing changed lately was added Logitech keyboard & it updated LGS & VC_Redist to fix Grim Dawn latest update.

Haven't updated drivers for gfx card, so that's not likely to be problem. Relive also not installed.
Double checked & all parts/cables connected properly.

Not stress tested anything, will give that & memtest a shot.

Got my old HD6850 if things continue to go wrong.

Soldato
Having the HD6850 in reserve is a real bonus as it will help determine if its the gfx card definitively - but realise it's a PITA to swap out if you're tight on space.

I realise you've double checked cables etc - but have a close look at the card fitting. Really make sure it is pressed in firmly and that the supporting screws haven't caused the card to put too much stress on the slot etc...

Associate
OP
Just reseated card just in case.Cable to monitor is hdmI-dvi-d. Oldish Monitor only has that or vga & card is vga less.Will try a gpu test now.

Soldato
It'd guess it's the PSU as the RX 480 will pull slightly more power than a HD 6850 and you've probably had that PSU since when you built it? If so I'd probably change it no matter what brand/model you have now.

Associate
OP
Ran a few gpu tests. All ok except for Heaven.Fine in windowed, full screen it froze its window, folder I had open & task manager. This time I could use rest so rebooted.

ARX showed good temps throughout.

Soldato
PSU is always a possible cause for suspicion and the RX 480 is greedy - but there are easier things to rule out first.

I would run memtest or run with one stick and try the above tests again (swap sticks and slot if you get the same problem with one of the sticks/slot and rerun tests). I'm always suspicious of memory and the above fault could be a result of a faulty stick or slot.

However, you could test your other card for a day - and if that remains stable then it would point heavily towards the 480 or the PSU. To test the PSU ideally you would try a known working one or the paper clip test...

Associate
OP
Unfortunately, only other PSUs I've got are dead ones or ones too old I'd not risk using.
Just tried mdsched.exe. It reported no problems. Will grab some blank disks or usb stick tomorrow to do a test with memtest.
I take it mdsched isn't as good a test as memtest?

Can skip paper clip test as computer does boot/work, just the problem with freezing & that one tv-static screen.

Associate
OP
Will see about getting a newer PSU soon, as can always use it for when I eventually get ryzen'd up.

Last night, reset all mobo firmware etc, made sure everything was back tight in place. Was on for four hours with no problems.
Ran memtest when got in today for couple of hours, all passed.
So, no idea wtf happened, but it seems it's fine. At least for now.
:rolleyes:

Associate
OP
I'm sure PCs bide their time to pick opportune moments to act up and once they've driven us to the edge of diagnostic insanity they boot up just to take the P...

I can quite believe right now, there's a part of the pc waiting for me to go stick the kettle on & then it'll cackle & contemplate what it's got planned for me next. ;)

Associate
Well, that's the problem with unplanned failure - you don't get to pick when it strikes.

I ground myself when working with electronics far more than needed, just to keep the gremlins at bay.

Associate
OP
Oh I do that all of the time, even if only taking side panel off to have a nosey to see if things are still where they're meant to be hehe.
Better safe than sorry :D

Associate
OP
Aaaand the gremlins are back with a vengeance.

Couple days ago, it started doing it again, tried a new install of win7 & it happened right near end of installation, so I ordered a new psu (EVGA 600w 80+) & put that in yesterday. Happened again.
It's happening at weirdest/any event.
Ran Heaven bench for an hour fine, ran memtest for a couple hours, no errors.
Loaded windows & played some BF3 fine.
Was sat waiting for kettle to boil & not touching anything, screen fuzzied out.
Did same when all I did was click the X to close HWInfo (only thing running at time was Palemoon & HWInfo, so not exactly heavy load).

Don't imagine that the gfx card could cut power to whole system could it just for a blip?
So thinking it maybe is the mobo, but seems odd that it'd be fine for quite some time since last time & start doing it again.

Everything's been reseated to triple check.

Back
Top Bottom