Possibly Overclocked?

Associate
I've been using a XFX NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 330mb, but under the DxDiag settings it's saying 'Approx. Total Memory 1052 mb'. A friend gave me this card and I'm wondering if it's Overclocked?

In actual fact, I think there's something wrong with this card because it seems to struggle on World of Warcraft sometimes when that's hardly a graphically intensive game, but maybe that's due to running Vista with 2GB's of RAM, I dunno. :-/

Helpp! :)

Associate
It's because it's using system memory aswell - my 8800GT 512mb uses up to 2.2GB.

What it's doing is using it's own memory (330mb) and then another 722mb of the RAM if it needs it. It shouldn't be anything to worry about - although I'm not a particular fan of the graphics laying claim to so much memory, it will only use it if it's available and necessary.

Overclocking is to do with the clock speed - you couldn't "overclock" the amount of memory it uses; and WoW is intensive enough, it's quite CPU intensive in busy scenes - which can cause lag just as easily as the graphics card - or it may be your connection.

Associate
Warcraft + vista + 2GB of ram will quickly exhaust your resources, no matter which way you look at it.

For me WoW loads around 1.5gig into memory.. and if your memory is full, which it will be since there's no way vista is only using half a gig. It'll page the majority of it throttling your game performance.

If you upgrade to say 4GB of RAM you'll see a huge change tbh, I saw it when i upgraded from 2 to 3 (just what i had lying around at the time)

Back
Top Bottom