Possibly stupid earbuds question

Associate
I have a cheap pair of Anker Soundcore P2 earbuds which, to be honest, I don't actually use very often because I hate the way they affect my situational awareness even when I'm not actually listening to anything.

I feel like I'm walking around with my fingers in my ears all the time. I can't hear things going on around me (like a jogger approaching from behind for example). I understand that if I'm actually listening to something then I'm not going to be able to hear what else is going on around me but apart from the obvious (taking out the earbuds!) is there another answer to this?

Do I need 'open back' (I'm not actually sure what that means!) earbuds? Or is there some sort of opposite to ANC that would pass the external sounds through the earbuds?

I know this is probably a stupid question but opinions would be appreciated...

Soldato
This is how standard earbuds are mate. The alternative is to get more expensive earbuds that support ANC and by extension offer a 'transparency' mode that will feed external sounds back to you. Or try the new Sony Linkbuds.

Soldato
Bone conduction headphones might be worth a look.. Not tried that technology myself but might be worth investigation

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-bone-conduction-headphones

Do I need 'open back' (I'm not actually sure what that means!)

Open back and closed back generaly more refers to larger 'on ear' or 'over ear' style headphones, where open back has gaps on the outside, a little bit like an exhaust port, which lends itself to a better stereo sound stage, but everyone around you will be able to hear it too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Personally prefer actual earbuds as in classic earbuds rather than in-ear headphones - but you won't really find them in bluetooth/wireless form as it is harder to make such which would stay in your ears.

Associate
My creative outlier air v3 has a transparency mode and it works ok, it does use the mic to play to the earbuds along with the music, it's artificial and takes some getting used to but does work. Noise cancellation on them is good as well, nice all round I find and not expensive when on sale

Soldato
Thanks for the replies and explanations, I'll see if I can find some with 'transparency' mode...

Have a Look at soundpeats TrueAir2+. They have no rubber tips so minimal noise isolation. Means you can hear enough around you to feel like you're not wearing earphones. They're also great for phone calls, have great mics. Around 30£

Next step up is a good pair of active noise cancelling earphones like the Samsung galaxy buds pro which are going cheap on ebay due to free promotions with phones. They have a great and natural sound transparency mode and super quite mode with noise cancelling on. About 70 quid, 200 rrp.

Soldato
You're confusing ear buds with canal phones. Canal phones are foam or silicon and bung the ear hole fully, literally like using ear plug defenders. Ear buds sit loose on the notch.

Back
Top Bottom