Post issues

Associate
hi all,

My PC has an issue right now whereby every single time I power it on everything turns on lights etc but the PC does not post - no bios screen/OS load attempt.

It powers straight back off and all of the lights go out. It powers straight back on without me touching it and loads OS and everything runs perfectly. It’s just starting to bother me now that at every power on it does a power cycle before booting.

Any help appreciated

Jack

Associate
Have you tried downloading a more recent BIOS version for your motherboard if available? What are your systems specs? If you run multiple RAM sticks, does it exhibit the same behaviour with only one stick in the motherboard?

Associate
OP
It doesn’t no - I don’t have any overclock active. Can’t even enable xmp to use ram to its potential as this piece of **** won’t load with xmp switches on.

Man of Honour
Before things get complicated.. check the case switch isn't shorting.. It's an easy test to perform .. just disconnect the case leads and power on the PC by shorting the power on pins on the Mobo. If this works.. you know where your problem is.. Similarly, make sure nothing has dropped in the underside of the motherboard tray that's shorting the system

After which, I would fully check your PSU is delivering the correct and sustainable voltages before anything. Check my sticky for details.

If everything looks ok with the PSU, strip back all your components including GC, RAM and all HDD/SSDS insuring you have reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and/or shorting the reset pin then test. We are only interested in seeing if we get the correct POST errors.. Then add each component back one-by-one until the system fails to boot.. it's likely to be that component.. See what I'm saying here?.

If the PSU reads ok and the first test above fails then it maybe a fault on the VRMS.. this of course means a faulty MOBO.

Soldato
I can’t help with the restarting other than suggesting what theforce said, update bios and try bare minimum, one stick of ram no storage drives onboard Gfx etc. Then if it fixes it add one thing back at a time to rule them out.

As for the memory I find that Xmp doesn’t work without adding more voltage to the memory controller, 1.15v I use.

Associate
OP
I will giv it a go today, annoying because sometimes it will turn on no issues others it does this restart and then always loads afterwords. It never fails to come on completely

Associate
OP
It’s difficult to test as it doesn’t happen on every boot up it so is hard to recreate. Been thinking of upgrading the mobo anyway to be honest, it’s very limited in what I can do and generally quite rubbish....Anyone suggest an upgrade on what I’ve got? Would you Also upgrade the i5 6600k at the same time?

If it continues after the upgrade I’ll look at further parts possibly.

It’

Soldato
I wouldnt upgrade before trying everything suggested, try and find out which part is causing the problem first.

If you find your mobo or cpu is at fault and you want to upgrade then maybe wait for the next gen since your system is still working ok. You could go and buy a coffeelake system now then find the next gen stuff comes out shortly after for the same money.

Back
Top Bottom