Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Passed a green Caterham with yellow stripe on the M25 this morning. GoPro mounted to the rollbar, driver wearing a headset, looked like he should be part of a convoy, but he was just mixing it up with rush-hour traffic. Good lad :)

Is that an old motoring journo figure :p

With modern tyres, remap it's more like 16, but yeah still far apart and nobody would ever hint at it being close to an F12 :p

Not sure how you think a E46 M3 will now be quicker than a CSL was back in the day on Cup tyres (16.8s for reference). :p

Last edited:
I had e46 remapped at evolve, very much an emperor's new clothes experience, when in reality there was zero difference to power, torque and any 0-xxx I threw at it...

Plus I still don't get the hype about their sound, I still think they sound average at best (CSL airbox aside), I migrated to an S4 and that (IMO) sounded infinitely better.

I don’t think my f type would be far off 16secs so m3 cab no way.

EDIT : Just checked with some Google... I had 11.7 to 100mph in my head - but thats the quarter mile which is about 124mph terminal anyway :D

Last edited:
Dunno what this thing was?

Comically low to the ground when parked and an exhaust that doesnt quite fit!
AP1GczNgoxMEmHa4VD5h0J9bugIIZ7j5oqxk9uGuEyWcKXAONBDSYx75bHDjEmbgkajGqMTDsbTh-L1UKva1uIpv-guEBzdy-RJyRWDd7bYAigdo3_WFbzwG2P-F-FCm-4jFvFBf7f8xXRwN-_mqa4S0l3bOFg=w1221-h919-s-no-gm
AP1GczPg62KIXp70wrrocZjDhXLSxPdF2AYIRTSBS_SWqmq0L_WGLuSDu3110oWz2HO3_Z05bJGZB4hWw5LKR6EKoUr4fbjfIly_7MiZbIkVr57_yunXoW4qYZ1rdzQM3hTD1vAutphC7vBhaMAsmmBYrzXOAg=w1221-h919-s-no-gm

I had e46 remapped at evolve, very much an emperor's new clothes experience, when in reality there was zero difference to power, torque and any 0-xxx I threw at it...

Plus I still don't get the hype about their sound, I still think they sound average at best (CSL airbox aside), I migrated to an S4 and that (IMO) sounded infinitely better.
Sorry but my own preference weighs with many others in that we prefer sound and feel of the power delivery that's unique rather than outright power and speed with a generic sound. There's nothing unique with an Audi apart from the V10, the rest all sound like any other performance v8 with nothing unique about the character, the S54 on the other hand has a distinct character where no other engine is the same and it only gets more obvious as the rpms reach 8200.

100% of the time you know an S54 engine is coming around the corner because nothing else sounds like it. Same can't be said for other cars that aren't either exotica or an AMG v8.

Edit* AMG not AMD lol.

Last edited:
The s54 has a decent sound but hardly god tier. You've got the RS 5 pots and even the B58s that sound lovely after some exhaust mods.

Other old engines like the vr6 and e90 M3 v8s, rs4 v8s are all sweet too.

The 5 cylinders are unique sounding yes, I forgot about those, but as above the rest of the v8s, inc the E9X v8 are not distinct to be able to be able to say "yeah that car in the distance, sounds like xyz model" - And that's what my point is, the S54 sounds a certain way and nobody could ever mistake it for anything else both from inside and outside of the car.

Anyway this is too far off topic, anyone can view the videos online for sounds of whatever car.

The 5 cylinders are unique sounding yes, I forgot about those, but as above the rest of the v8s, inc the E9X v8 are not distinct to be able to be able to say "yeah that car in the distance, sounds like xyz model" - And that's what my point is, the S54 sounds a certain way and nobody could ever mistake it for anything else both from inside and outside of the car.

Anyway this is too far off topic, anyone can view the videos online for sounds of whatever car.

While this is true, the same can also be said for a 1.9TDI. :D

Takes me back to the olden days of many a BM3W/MTorque discussion.

We used to get loads of people coming to the forum to share how a new remap had TRANSFORMED the car and made it a supercar slayer all of a sudden (don't get me started on the Sport button MASSIVE POWER INCREASE eejits!). They would make claims of 20bhp increases, show lots of graphs of their new found power. The finest BMW snake oil for sure, same with the impact of an air box on performance. However.....that CSL induction noise is worth paying for both on the E46 and E9x M3's in my book as god it sounds gooooood.

Issues all E46 M3's have, CSL included, is how tin like they sound going away. All nice indication noise coming towards you, then zinnnnnnnnzinnnnnnnnzinnnnnnn going away from you.

My B7 RS4 sounded better than my E46 too.....though the E9x V8 was the king for me sound wise of that era.

Reactions: mjt
Although we know your statement was someone of an overstatement (school shooting pictures are probably more depressing) hopefully this Miami set is better:

Those are more like it, some actual beauties there!!

(Sorry, didn’t mean to be a sassy sod, just nothing wildly exciting or enticing in the last bout of pictures! But maybe that was just me!)

Back
Top Bottom