Post Your Garden!

Associate
Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback.:D
First time with a garden so its been a learning curve. I wish I hadn't used the white pebbles as they collect the (many!) fallen bamboo leaves (should have just used bark I think) and if I move them the green side is showing. I also have a quite large Acer which I had to pot up to make room for the Tree Fern, and it really doesnt like it. Either going to have to Bonsai it or give it away as I dont have any more space, and the wife wont allow any more lawn to be dug up :confused:
andy

Soldato
Getting there slow but sure.
414456837.jpg

Soldato
Slowly getting somewhere.. for reasons that aren't clear the house we just moved into (12 days before the stamp duty cut.. **** you Boris) had a sort of pond in a fence but only reeds situation.. definitely not deep enough for fish.. weird. Anyway, commence the deponding and de-decrepit shedding!

pvVxdeb.jpg

Z0no3mH.jpg

wa6IJf5.jpg

K6rVomt.jpg

Once we've gotten rid of the mountains of green rubber chippings outside the door (they were victims to their kids clearly) it'll be time for a professional to come and do stuff :)

Then change the summer house, it's got power but as with everything else with this house it's ****ed.

Soldato
posted in the man jobs section before but probably deserves to be in here too.

(dodgy fence on the right is the neighbours attempt at putting one up )
IMG-20200721-201226.jpg

Soldato
but as with everything else with this house it's ****ed.

I'll just drop in here that I've now discovered I have a leak on the mains side of the feed spraying water under the house so now the mains water is off at the road and I'm in a pickle until tuesday when I have a kitchen fitter/plumber coming to unfit the kitchen to get at the leak.

Brrrrrrilliant.

Associate
not the best pics
its a big garden and its hard to get it all sorted, still lots of areas to work on, but its getting there

ongoing project aiming for about 5 years to complete
cleaning up mainly
some areas got destroyed with trees and hedges being pull out over the last year

first pic is looking good, just needs some filling in, some slate replaced, to the left there is a nice bunch of bushes which has a waterfall going down through them and a pathway, though you cant see any of that its, all over grown

the second pic shows the old tree stump area that needs sorting out, but most of the grass you can see there upto the swing ball is very bad earth, lots of stones, the grass is struggling to grow, some areas has no grass grow for the past year, so will need to bring in lots of earth to level that whole area up all the way back to the fence at the end, what you can see now is the 70 tons of soil we brought in to build it up

the last picture, you cant see it but just to the left is a long high hedge, our neighbour sadly cut his side and its all dead, so we can see though in areas, but due to location nothing grows there, you can see the bushes on the left of that pic, there is walkways though there which is now just all dead, no grass anymore either

22iq0pD.jpg

xwV6KVy.jpg

Bbmyp27.jpg

older pic

7L3wMvW.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
bLdwKaw.jpg

This is the our current project
inside is mostly done, garden is main area now,

it goes back about 50M
right now the shed has gone, the pile of rubbish is now a tiled area
with a turf lawn back to about 2m past that hedge
by thursday it should have a gate going across from the turf
the rear area is just a mess of brambles, over the coming months its being killed off, turned into lawn and keeping the apple trees that i think are still there, just cant see them through the brambles :(

bLdwKaw.jpg

Associate
onto Project 3

this is many years off (10), no idea where to start, currently thinking flatten the lot inc the house, currently cant get to the house anyway

thinking a small holiday home built using natural materials, wooden with a garden roof, an ornamental garden and a vegetable garden around it
its our old farm home which has now got a housing estate surrounding it, so needs something alittle special, i figure a garden home will be a nice change its surroundings

yLaNhP4.jpg

Associate
humble brag :)

Looks amazing, where are you?

im down in devon, middle of nowhere, so internet is terrible....
its been along time in the making of that garden, its gone though a large number of changes, when we bought the place the soil was heavy clay, the other thing that was there was large weeds, it was a little bungalow that was falling apart, could not live in it
we started by taking a flamethrower to most of the grounds just leaving that back hedge on the left of the second pic, it used to be about 8ft higher than it is now a couple years ago
brought in loads of soil to cover the whole area, turned the right hand side of the first pic into an apple orchard, all fenced off had a big ditch between the two to stop flooding at certain times of year
pond was done just because i wanted one tbh, always loved a water feature, and just needed more than all grass, its a bit too much grass
pond turned out too big so fill in abit and now use that part like a filter before the pump
we had lots of flowerbeds and rose garden at one point, looked great but too much work to try and manage, so ripped it all out and planted bushes instead, overtime we have learnt some of the bushes grow too quick and block the light from anything else to grow under it leaving big ugly gaps, other areas just get eaten so its always a nasty looking gap
so over the next 5 years we intend to address those areas and deal with some of the ugly parts, for example a couple of posts up you can see on the left a brick shape, it was first built as a nice bbq, then it turned into being used to burn garden waste, now its just an ugly area with nasty plants around it, likely we will try and turn it back into a bbq or remove it completely
but we have been here for about 30 years now, and still not got it right
our current project with the big glass doors and the shed you can see 4 pics up, hopefully will be 50% complete by the end of next week, brother in law is up there doing that garden atm, we have designed the 50% he is doing, the front garden is just going to be tidied up a bit, its about 4m sq which is most just hedge atm with a small walkway, so plan to open that up little bit later down the line, but for now its just clean it up so its looking ok
ill try and post some pics of the completed area when its done

Associate
trying to make a veg patch, still in progress, coming on slowly first pic is feb, second is just now
having some issues with chickens and deer

looked bad in march when there is 5 of us living in the house...

VfiYCYh.jpg

uemQ7mp.jpg

Associate
bLdwKaw.jpg

This is the our current project
inside is mostly done, garden is main area now,

it goes back about 50M
right now the shed has gone, the pile of rubbish is now a tiled area
with a turf lawn back to about 2m past that hedge
by thursday it should have a gate going across from the turf
the rear area is just a mess of brambles, over the coming months its being killed off, turned into lawn and keeping the apple trees that i think are still there, just cant see them through the brambles :(

bLdwKaw.jpg

mQmIatf.jpg

the garden was going to stop at the rose bush which you cant quite see in the first pic, the lawn up to that point has been turf, after that it was just grass seed, the weather got it growing so quick we opened it all up
still want to clean up the edges they are a bit rough as you go further down

Associate
After taking Lee's advice and wanting grass like his I went and got the same scarifier and thought I'd give it a go.

Shot of the garden before any work - Yes, it's an absolute mess :D

suopFrKl.jpg

First pass using the scarifier on the highest setting turned out OK but left a lot of weeds still, so lowered it to it's lowest setting and went over it again. Sadly I then realised that the rather large old pool that was in the garden had been cut out by the sellers using an angle grinder (we requested it was removed before exchanging) and all the sub frame of the pool along with lots of sharp rusty metal were now sticking out the ground.

E8Uxk1pl.jpg

No pictures of the metal but there was a lot! By time we'd dug ~1.5ft down to remove it all, we decided that it was so uneven and tatty that we may as well go all the way and rip the whole lawn out.

A few weeks later and lots of hours of digging we've got all the lawn up, sledged the breeze blocks on the side of the wall that were 'decking' for the pool and we've started levelling it.

Also noticed all the decking around the smaller shed was rotted through, so ripped all of that out too. I'll build some stairs to get in and out of that at a later point I think.

jTpDXeSl.jpg

Cleared half the mound down the sides of the shed and mancave at the back last night, now out of room, so need to work out what to do with the rest :D

I've got ~1000 litres of compost, 2kg of seed and fertilizer sat in the conservatory waiting to go on soon :)

8QoaBh7l.jpg

To update this....

I'm now done on the lawn :D

75Eitttl.jpg

After 2 weeks of growing...

BRRkFq8l.jpg

This morning (sorry about angle - taken through a window). That's a sprinkler on the right, not a patchy bit, though there are a few areas that I'll be over seeding soon :)

Cb6lvpOl.jpg

Now to knock down that half wall on the right and put some nice fencing in, then need to build some sleepers for flower beds :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
To update this....

I'm now done on the lawn :D

75Eitttl.jpg

After 2 weeks of growing...

BRRkFq8l.jpg

This morning (sorry about angle - taken through a window). That's a sprinkler on the right, not a patchy bit, though there are a few areas that I'll be over seeding soon :)

Cb6lvpOl.jpg

Now to knock down that half wall on the right and put some nice fencing in, then need to build some sleepers for flower beds :)
Nice result. How long between week 2 and the final picture? :)

Back
Top Bottom