Post Your Garden!

Soldato
Not sure it's worthy of it's own thread, but does anyone have issues with loads of swarms of midgies in their garden and any way to try and deter them?

We have some citronella candles and citronella lantern things which do an ok job if we're sat out in the garden for a decent amount of time, but if i'm just nipping to the shed, i usually end up with a faceful of them and it's annoying as hell.

We don't have any standing water in the garden or anything like that, but do live near a river. I've read various types of plants help to deter them, but we have lavender and catmint, and they seem to swarm around them just as much!

I'm now at the point of debating ordering some ladybirds, as apparently they can be useful.

Soldato
Not sure it's worthy of it's own thread, but does anyone have issues with loads of swarms of midgies in their garden and any way to try and deter them?

We have some citronella candles and citronella lantern things which do an ok job if we're sat out in the garden for a decent amount of time, but if i'm just nipping to the shed, i usually end up with a faceful of them and it's annoying as hell.

We don't have any standing water in the garden or anything like that, but do live near a river. I've read various types of plants help to deter them, but we have lavender and catmint, and they seem to swarm around them just as much!

I'm now at the point of debating ordering some ladybirds, as apparently they can be useful.

we have loads of midgies too and they are annoying - big swarms around the house depending on where sun/shade is

Associate
Been raining too much this last week to progress much with removing the last of my weeds :(

Twice now I was about to do some more and its raining too much, and I'm not liking having to do it while the soil is soaked too.

Soldato
Took a few weeks. I did it in the dry spell and ended up watering everyday when it was probably also a bit cold overnight. Then this warmer wet spell it just took off, can almost watch it growing in this current weather.

cool mine has been down 8 days and i havent noticed anything yet - its been raining heavy and on the other days water it once. The temperatures here have been warmer but still not so hot lows of around 4 - 6 and highs 11 - 14

Hoping to see something soon :)

Last edited:
Soldato
we have loads of midgies too and they are annoying - big swarms around the house depending on where sun/shade is

Guessing you've never found a solution either then!

They just ruin everything and serve no purpose! We had one of those electric fly swats, and you can take out a fair few in each swipe, but then i swear more just re-appear immediately!

Caporegime
Guessing you've never found a solution either then!

They just ruin everything and serve no purpose! We had one of those electric fly swats, and you can take out a fair few in each swipe, but then i swear more just re-appear immediately!

We bought a proper fish and chip shop style electric wall mounted zapper, one of those blue light things

Not for midgies specifically, but worked a treat on flies :p made a bit of a bang if a daddy long leg came about mind

Associate
GARDEN.jpg
aoRjgGz.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
A better idea I read is to wait until mid summer to reseed as they should have turned into flies by then.

If you have removed all the thatch and debris then the new flies wont have anywhere to lay there eggs i think.... also if you are planting seed in mid summer you will have to water it regular with the temperatures so it dont dry out........

Don
Guys, any idea what I should do with this hedge? Over time it's just become more transparent and I assume is dying? What should I try? I was going to pull it all out and stick a fence in, not sure, I just want privacy

ZASYZLZ.jpg

sPjPP8T.jpg

Back
Top Bottom