Potential HDD Failure

Associate
Hello, I am after some advice, I was noticing my seagate 1TB HDD was getting slow when trying to transfer files or even delete/uninstall things of it. for some reason it doesnt show up in the disk optimization tool and i cant defrag it either.

I have run chkdsk /f /r /x and it took like 2 days and part way through stage 4 " looking for bad clusters in user file data" it repaired/replaced some files and got to around 98% then chucked up an unexpected error occured and spammed the screen with c: Windows\system32 and then just stopped completely.

should i run chkdsk again? or just give up.

Thanks
Daniel

Associate
OP
just checked my orders and its 5 years old, there is nothing too important on the drive tbh just dont want to buy a new one if i dont need too, il check out them tools you suggested.

thanks

Soldato
Drives best used as a backup really. It's no fun recovering data constantly if it becomes flaky. A format might help but you'd probably need to buy a drive to do that so... I'd back up and get a replacement. Just a shame that even 1TB drives aren't that cheap still.

Associate
OP
This is what i figured, im currently running the seatools scan. I will try and backup what ever i need off it but transferring files from it currently takes ages so i mite just scrap it if the scan doesn’t help. Il try a format and purchase a new one on payday.

Thanks for the help

Associate
OP
Im pretty sure the HDD is dead tried to run 2 different scans on the Seatools and both have failed, i cant backup anything off it as the transfer rate for anything so small, thankfully as i said nothing too important on the drive anyway.

thanks for the assistance.

Back
Top Bottom