Potential new job, car required

Associate
I'm currently looking for a new job and have sent out an application for something that sounds promising. However if I get it I will need a car. So it's probably best to get researching now.
I've not really kept up with the market however since my E34 decided it wanted to be on fire and I've got my black cab for day to day so I could do with prodding in the right direction.

My list of requirements are as follows
Petrol, preferably manual. Potential job will be in the future London Ulez, so nothing older than 2005
Utterly reliable and big and powerful enough to munch miles comfortably as I travel from London to Oxfordshire regularly. So ideally a saloon but definitely no shopping trolleys. So at least golf sized and up.
Ideally 45mpg+ extra urban
Quiet and comfortable
Cruise control
Bluetooth telephone
Steering wheel mounted controls for the above
Reasonable to cheap to run, so no £500+ a year road tax.
I'm really not a speed freak. Much more of the type to sit in the left lane at 65 with the cruise on. However having a bit of punch for the odd overtake here and there would be desirable.
Mileage doesn't bother me that much as long as the engine and car in general is proven to be reliable and go well into 6 figures without falling to bits. Something serviced regularly with less owners the better.
It would be nice to have something vaguely interesting but it's not a must. Would prefer a trusty workhorse to an unreliable rocket ship.
Budget I haven't really decided on yet. Depends what's available. I'd rather spend a bit more, say up to 8k on something nice and won't break down all the time than chancing it at 2k. So kinda looking between 4-8k I guess.

So far from what I've been looking at, a circa 2010 Octavia VRS has caught my eye. Always kinda liked them and there seems to be good face-lift examples around for 7-8k.
My dream would be an E class but I'm guessing they'll be more trouble than they're worth at this end of the market.

But I'll open the floor to you guys for any other suggestions :)

Back
Top Bottom