Pothole Damage

Man of Honour
If he is assessing his relative position, then it pretty much is. Before he had a 330i that worked and was in perfect condition. Once it's fixed he'll have a 330i that works, is in perfect condition, and a pile of cash. And a Cat C marker but as he isnt selling his car this has zero effect currently.

Man of Honour
Yes, because you seem to think he wants to sell his car. Which is the only point at which it's residual value becomes relevant :)

He has already explained he wants to keep it for the forseeable future.

Soldato
OP
I had the car delivered back about a week ago, but the battery was dead. I've charged it up and the car stars fine and everything still works, but the emissions warning light is showing and I also noticed the exhaust smelled a lot more than usual. Is this likely to be because the car has been stood for almost a month without being run?

The car's due to be MOT'd once I've had the airbags replaced, so does anyone know whether the emissions warning light will be an MOT failure? If so, should I just leave the car running to try to get rid of it?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
It's unlikely to be just because its stood for a month. I've had my 530i stood for long periods of time twice now and never has that happened.

Best thing to do is to get the fault codes on the car read because it will have logged a code to have triggered the light.

Soldato
The only problem I'd ever have with keeping a car like this is that I'd be continually worried about the state of the rest of the running gear. Things like three months down the line when both dampers on that side start leaking, then a spring snaps, then it starts tracking incorrectly, random electrics start playing up because the connectors or wiring's been chafed...

I'd be most inclined just to get shot of it, personally. I had a Jeep like that once and I was never happy with it afterwards. Just wasn't the same. The faults need not even be attributable to the incident but they just set your mind running about what's next or what else is wrong.

RE your code, you might find that the catalytic convertor or O2 sensor have been damaged by the impact. Does the car still sound the same? Could have a minor exhaust leak somewhere.

Man of Honour
It would be a bit of a waste to get shot of it just for the sake of a pothole. Peoples decisions to get rid of cars after incidents are almost always irrational.

'Somebody drove into the side of my Ford Ka at 5mph and dented the door. IT'LL NEVER BE THE SAME so i sold it at a huge personal loss'.

Soldato
In that instance, of course not. Cosmetic damage or minor mechanical damage wouldn't trouble me in the slightest. Damage to the running gear, suspension, whatever might. It wasn't exactly just "a pothole" and it looks like the car took quite a pounding.

Obviously it's down to SaBBz because he'll be able to drive it and see what he thinks about it.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23594558 said:
Best thing to do is to get the fault codes on the car read because it will have logged a code to have triggered the light.

What's the best programme to use for this? Obviously I can't move the car, so is there a specific laptop cable I should look at buying to read the code myself?

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23594666 said:
Carsoft or INPA - loads of cables etc on Ebay that will work with the E46. No need to spend big money either :)

Brilliant, thanks. I'll probably buy this, though I've seen some people saying that they don't work with a USB adaptor. Are you using this version with a USB adaptor Fox?

Back
Top Bottom