Power Cut = Damage??

Associate
Mum just cut power to PC (mains) for a laugh, Some how she didn't see how I didn't find it funny. Now my question is, is this going to have caused damage, it was when it was in full usage. and are there any things I can do to check for damage or to reduce the chance of damage..?

Last edited:
Associate
Then it's fine :D
PC parts are pretty resilient.

The parts may be resilient, but if his PC was writing to the hard-disk at the time of the power cut then there could be some file corruption.

OP: Do you have write-caching enabled on your drives? You may have lost any work you were saving at the time of the power cut.

Also might be worth running CHKDSK just to be sure.

Soldato
no matter what the state of the hard drive is, tell her the power cut she gave the PC made the hard drive crash (explain in great detail how hard drive crashes happen, and how much damage they cause)

once she has been overwhelmed with that info, demand she gets you a new hard drive, and make it a really expensive one (prehaps even an SSD)

Associate
OP
I was playing CSS at the time LOL I don't think anything was writing to the hard drive LOL and I don't know If I have cache on I think so. How Do I find out?

I'm running CHKDSK

Basicly disk check thing but without shutting down LOL I like :D
But when I run it it closes itself :S

Soldato
Mum just cut power to PC (mains) for a laugh, Some how she didn't see know I found it funny. Now my question is, is this going to have caused damage, it was when it was in full usage. and are there any things I can do to check for damage or to reduce the chance of damage..?

Have you never had a 'Power Cut'? There's no difference between your mum turning of the power and a 'Power Cut'.

I've had numerous 'Power Cuts' and never had any issues. Maybe I've just been lucky.

If your concerned by this, get yourself an uninterruptible power supply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=702&catid=55&subid=1208

Soldato
I was playing CSS at the time LOL I don't think anything was writing to the hard drive LOL and I don't know If I have cache on I think so. How Do I find out?

I'm running CHKDSK

Basicly disk check thing but without shutting down LOL I like :D
But when I run it it closes itself :S

So, it went something like this...

Mum: "Get off that PC, it's taking over your life!"
You: *grunt* *warcry*
Mum: "Don't ignore me, or i'll turn it off, IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME!"
You: "You wouldn't dare FACE MY WRATH!"
Mum: "Oh yea? ................."
*click*

HDD is the only issue. Very unlikely to ever cause any issues, although if the drives are near capacity and/or old it could have negative repercussions with corruption.

Associate
OP
So, it went something like this...

Mum: "Get off that PC, it's taking over your life!"
You: *grunt* *warcry*
Mum: "Don't ignore me, or i'll turn it off, IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME!"
You: "You wouldn't dare FACE MY WRATH!"
Mum: "Oh yea? ................."
*click*

HDD is the only issue. Very unlikely to ever cause any issues, although if the drives are near capacity and/or old it could have negative repercussions with corruption.

ha lol, it was more like.

You never do anything around the house.(Did the washing up and cleaned the kitching only an hour before)
I got not warning really, she said get of the computer so I was about to click on shutdown and it just went 'Buwwwwooooo' and my heart skiped a beat because this had happend before and HDD broke, but do you think it's perhaps worth getting a new HDD? because I hate slow pc's and LAGG so much. LOL
thats the reason I got a new PC!

and so all other parts like cpu and gpu cant be damaged from power cut?

'_'

Soldato
Surges can damage them which the PSU should filter out with smoothing capacitors. Decreasing voltages cannot damage them - it's just like turning them off.

A proper power cut (by the electric company) usually occurs after a surge - you notice the lights flicker then go brighter, then back to normal, then the power cut strikes. That surge is the danger.

Back
Top Bottom