Power for only 1 second??

Associate
Using a dell xps 720 psu in a different machine. At first, it just made a high pitched noise when I connected it to power, so I cleaned the inside out, and now it works for about 1 second, then it shuts off, but it still appears to be working. I removed the graphics card but it still does this... Can i somehow get it to work?

Associate
If cleaning made a difference, Its probably dust shorting something out - I would buy a cheap Compressed Air Duster Spray Can or use a vacuum hose, but be careful as its dangerous messing with open PSU`s as they can hold power for long periods (Use gloves)

Associate
Is that Dell PSU an ATX one? Dell went through a faze of using non-standard PSUs so that you'd need to buy from them if yours blew up. Also, what is the power output and ampage of the PSU?

Associate
OP
Is that Dell PSU an ATX one? Dell went through a faze of using non-standard PSUs so that you'd need to buy from them if yours blew up. Also, what is the power output and ampage of the PSU?

If I'm correct by assuming that you're talking about the mobo in the dell, the fixture was btx. However, it somehow managed to fit into this atx case, and I got a Molex to 4 pin adapter so that I could plug it into the mobo.

Caporegime
if i were you id try with another make/model psu if you can,one like an xfx or corsair,gigabyte boards are picky with power supplies at the best of times,ocz especially

the dell one might be fine but some of the power rails might not be enough,and if it was squealing its usually coil whine from psu/gpu

tested with igpu if you have one? and tested with just one ram stick in any white slot? or second slot from cpu socket?

Soldato
It is likely that Dell are using a custom 24-pin layout and the pins don't match. You will have to use some sort of a multimeter to test this to see if it matches what the ATX pins should be. If that's the case, you will simply need to rearrange the pins so they're in the correct order. The fact it is making a strange noise however suggests there may be something wrong with the PSU itself.

Associate
OP
It is likely that Dell are using a custom 24-pin layout and the pins don't match. You will have to use some sort of a multimeter to test this to see if it matches what the ATX pins should be. If that's the case, you will simply need to rearrange the pins so they're in the correct order. The fact it is making a strange noise however suggests there may be something wrong with the PSU itself.

The noise stopped after I cleaned it. How do I change the pins to match the layout (I think the grounding pin is on the wrong side)?

Back
Top Bottom