Power issue

Soldato
Wouldn't re-use that old PSU with a new decent mobo/cpu/ram though. It's had a very good run for an 80+ (not quite a Bronze) three year warranty unit, and is likely dodgy by now, even if the motherboard turns out to be dodgy-ier.

Associate
OP
Hmm, fair enough..

Based on my system just now, lets just say I buy the new PSU and computer still plays up. If terms of buying a new CPU, MOBO and RAM, what is a good choice for my setup:

Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600X?
16GB DDR4 RAM?
Any £100ish motherboard?

Prob around the £350-400 I would be looking then? Would those be the only components that need replacing to upgrade? GPU is only about a year old, SDD/HDD still run fine as far as I can tell (touch wood)..

Soldato
Yup that should be it. MSI B450 Tomahawk or Carbon Pro recommended choices around that price-point. 3000 or 3200MHz RAM.

Or Intel i5-9400F with B360/B365 board. i5-8600K/i5-9600K with cheapest Z370/Z390 board.

The AMD path could be better in the long run depending on how good the new Ryzen 3XXX CPUs turn out to be. Or for the extra threads.

Your BeQuiet cooler will probably need an AMD AM4 mounting kit. Should be compatible with latest Intel, as is.

Associate
OP
Shock shock..

Been fine since last post but today it powered off. Now when I power it on it goes on for about 2secs.. turns off and cycles again over and over.

My friend is managing to get me a Corsair TXM 650w for £70.. is that a good psu for price?

I was going to get a cheap VS series but if I am going to upgrade soon I may aswell get a better psu now.

Soldato
TX serie is certainly better than VS, but would have to know precise model to say how good it actually is.
Corsair loves naming different inside PSUs with same model name.
And if it isn't 80+ Gold version, then it's dated budget design.

Associate
OP
New psu fitted this morning. Still doing same looped restart cycle..

https://sendvid.com/q6vevea4

Any suggestions to try on motherboard?

Update ..

I decided to take parts out one at a time, ram gpu etc.

I touched the HDAUDIO header and pc cut off. I took cable out and it booted fine. I have put cable back in and so far so good.

Weird thing was when I turned pc back on date was set to 2047 and I had to manually change date...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom