Power on 4 monitors at the same time

Associate
Hi all,

I have a question for you all, I currently run a 4 monitor setup (AMD) and I although its not a big issue its something I have thought about but I dont know if it will damage the monitors in any way, the problem is that when I turn on my pc if I don't turn them all pretty fast when windows loads if one monitor is not on then I have to reboot for all the monitors to be setup or its just an endless cycle of switching one on waiting for it then to find out that eyefinity has mixed up the displays, its just easier to reboot.

So my initial thought was to have all 3 monitors connected to a switched extension, then instead of hitting 4 power buttons I can just hit one, problem is I don't know if the initial spike in electricity will damage the circuits over time.

Or if I leave them on when the pc goes off that will work but will the circuit degrade over time and will my electricity bill be higher because they are left on.

I am no electrician so any help or advice from you guys please.

Kind Regards
Andrew

Commissario
This may go against the grain as it's not very high tech (and my brain is a little frazzled at the moment), but could you turn them on a few seconds before turning the PC on?
If you've already tried this discard it.

IIRC a lot of monitor etc default to off when the power is turned on at the mains (they tend to use soft switching to take them out of standby) so turning on at the socket/extension lead may not work.
You can even get remote controlled extensions.

Associate
OP
yeah I always try to turn them on before the PC comes on but mostly its the other way round, what I was thinking of leaving them switched on and using a switched extension to switch them off, but I am thinking maybe switching them on from the extension will damage them in some way.

remote controlled extension I have never heard of them I will have to read up about it

Associate
Are you turning the monitors off? there really isn't any need to as they use such minuscule amount of power in standby. at most a few pence per year per monitor. any modern monitor will use less than a watt at standby

Placing them on a extension block with remote power switch will not damage them, but if you have them off to save money then this will end up costing more. all of these power saving devices end up take 10+ years to pay for themselves

Associate
OP
yes I turn them off when I turn my pc on, and then its a mad rush to get the monitors on etc, ok so I will leave them on when I turn my pc off see how that goes.

Thanks for all your replies

Andrew

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom