Power supply issues ?

Associate
I'm running a 800 Watt corsair PGU, which I've had for five years now.

I've concerns about power supply to my PC, and if there is damage being caused.

What might be the simplest tool / method to check power consumption?

After I plugged in a mech keypad a few weeks back it seemed to start to go faulty after a few weeks of being fine, and then shut off completely. Also when I did plug iot in via USB after that it would immediately shut of my PC completely cold, which of course was very worrying. It did the same thing was another PC as well.

I now have an expensive new keyboard and don't want to run into the same issues.

After putting the PC insto 'sleep' for a couple of hours today, the keyboard was not detected when I woke it up and from then on it wouldn't connect to the keyboard or the mouse, until I did a full restart. The keyboard keys were lighting up tho.

I've removed a lamp from the electricty extender socket (but I did this morning before above issues) - which now has 3 plugs - 2 powering monitors (one a 1080p, and the other one a lower res).

Is ther any way cabling from the PSU could be an issues?

Any input appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Intel i5 2500k @4.3Ghz
A corsair CPU cooler
Asus Pz68 pro gen 3 motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 7950, 'twn frozr' 3GB
8 GB ram, i think it's DDR3
800 watt PSU
SSD 250GB Crucial
Gaming mouse and keyboard
3 x fans with lights that dont switch off

Man of Honour
A pc with a spec like that won't be pulling much more than 300w at the wall (the psu will be supplying even less to the components), maybe not even that much so the psu is nowhere near stressed. This sounds more like a motherboard proble to me, maybe the usb ports are on the way out. Several people have posted on here in recent weeks that their own boards of that age have been failing.

Back
Top Bottom