Power to USB ports when PC is OFF...need to turn this ON.

Associate
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to PC gaming, only started around 9 months ago. Initially I bought a pre-built system and have since started adding additional components such as fans, M.2 NVME drives all this is to prepare to build my own at a future date. Anyways upon installing a new AIO Cooler and exhaust fan I have encountered a strange problem that the power in my USB ports turns off when shutting my PC down. Really frustrating as I have a wireless mouse and headset which I need to charge every 2-3 nights. If I put my PC is sleep mode it works fine but previously even with upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11 the USB ports always had power when shutting down the PC.

I have an ASUS X570-p motherboard and have tried the following options...

In the BIOS ensure ERP is disabled/enabled tried both options can't recall the correct way around.
Go to device manager and under USB hubs, uncheck 'Allow this device to turn off to save power"

I have watched various YouTube videos and such like (most people want the power to be off whereas I want the power on!) but no option seems to enable the power of the USB ports when I have shutdown. Really frustrating as the ports all work fine when the PC is powered on so I know I haven't done anything wrong with anything I may or may not accessed on the motherboard, and it can't be a Win11 thing as it was working right before I installed my new cooler and fans.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated guys,

Thanks in advance

Rick

Associate
OP
I did see an option ‘USB Power Delivery in Soft Off State (S5)’ I enabled this but still the USB ports are turning off. So frustrating I really don’t know why the USB ports don’t stay on. Also I have noticed they all instantly turn on when I power up my PC.

Associate
OP
So I followed the guide and still no good, I have erp disabled and still no power to USB ports when PC is off. I have reset all settings on motherboard back to default and it’s still not powering the USB ports.

have now discovered that when putting the PC into sleep mode all USB devices power off :( and only way I can turn the pc back on is to press the reset button, the power button does nothing!

The performance of the the pc is great but there is something seriously wrong with the power management side of things. I really don’t know what to do next :-/

This all started by installing new fans using USB header on the MB.

Associate
OP
So I think I have found the issue and may have resolved this....

The Cooler Master RGB controller - USB cable seems to be the culprit! If I unplug the USB from the MB header then it works perfectly I have full power to my USB devices when shutting down. BUT when this is connected the PC won't go into sleep mode, it won't power the USB ports when shut down. So I have 2 options either carry on with the USB connected leaving me without a sleep mode and power to my USBs when shut down. Or remove the USB cable which would mean I cannot control the RGB which is not really a concern as I use the default 'rainbow' effect anyway.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions, great support from a great community.

Back
Top Bottom