Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Has anyone any experience with DeWalt hedge trimmers. Do they use the same batteries as the drills (only reason I’m considering)
DeWalt's 2 main battery technologies are XR (18V) and FlexVolt (54V). So most likely you have XR batteries and yes the trimmer would use them. You'd prob want some big capacity batteries e.g. 4Ah or higher.

Soldato
I’ve got the standard XR model and yes it uses the normal 18V XR batteries.

Pretty sure they also do a 54V flex volt version which is more expensive and you’ll need the flex volt (54/18v) battery.

Soldato
I think I might need a router, is this any good:

Soldato

I've used a couple of these for work (guitar making) in the past. Good enough for finer work, not sure they take a ½" collet.

Note there's no fine adjustment dial - I think the POF1400 has that. Doesn't affect most DIY work though. You can adjust depth with the depth stop.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Has anyone any experience with DeWalt hedge trimmers. Do they use the same batteries as the drills (only reason I’m considering)
I've got the standard 18V version DC563? maybe, got it second hand after a mate got rid of his hedges and I was really surprised by it.
I have about 40m of hedge between us and a neighbour and used it for a trim and tidy last week and it used 2/3 of 5AH battery, it cut great and much less stress than a cabled trimmer.
My regular trimmer is a 1m Bosch but needs 2 extension cables to reach the top of the garden, what normally takes me about about 2-3hrs I was done in 1hr.

Soldato

I use the below that is on a good price atm.

1/4" collet.

Soldato
Thanks @aVdub and @LuckyBenski

I need it to trim (or at least make a first pass to enable another tool to go over for a final cut) a door trim/framed edge piece - i only need to trim off a few mil so thinking this might be a good tool to use?

I also think I might need it to create a step cut (if that is the right term to use, instead of a rounded edge I want 90 degree cut) in a frame I'm building which I think I need to fit a shower tray on to.

Lots of 'thinking' and guesswork there but especially on the latter point I should know more today.

So I need to cut into a thin piece of trim and and also 18mm OSB, do I need 1/2inch size? Why can't they use metric, always confuses me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom