Powerbank recommendations?

Soldato
Hi chaps. I'm still with my old Samsung S7 Edge and was wondering what inexpensive, small thin portable powerbank with quick charging you could recommend?

Last edited:
Associate
I've used the Anker PowerCore mini to top up when out and about on holiday. They hold a decent charge, and not expensive if you google around a little.

Soldato
OP
I've used the Anker PowerCore mini to top up when out and about on holiday. They hold a decent charge, and not expensive if you google around a little.

Thanks. I found it on Amazon for £19.99 but I'm not sure if it's description of high speed charging is the same as quick charge?

'High-Speed Charging: PowerIQ detects your device to deliver its fastest possible charge speed up to 1 amp.'

Soldato
For a brand recommendation, I've had two approx 10k Ravpower power banks for years. One since 2015, the other 2018. Both still going strong, and cost under £15 each iirc.

I use a wall charger to charge them. But it's an old low power, one so they charge slow (I understand that slower charging protects the battery life somewhat, but I might be misinformed!)

Soldato
OP
For a brand recommendation, I've had two approx 10k Ravpower power banks for years. One since 2015, the other 2018. Both still going strong, and cost under £15 each iirc.

I use a wall charger to charge them. But it's an old low power, one so they charge slow (I understand that slower charging protects the battery life somewhat, but I might be misinformed!)

Thanks cheesyboy. I'm out at the moment and will look up 10k Ravpower later. Does it have quick charge 3.0 and will my samsung phone wall chargers (the standard black charger and the white fast charger) be ok to charge it?

Soldato
Amazon unfortunately removed a few of the reliable brands due to review manipulation. Ravpower has worked quite well for me, current 20,000 I have supports both QC 3.0 and USB-PD 15W.

The S7 supports Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 so any battery bank that supports this standard will fast charge the phone. However I would be tempted to go for a USB-PD one instead as that will be more future proof, and should still provide up to around 10W (5v 2a) of power to the phone.

I charge by the wall but that's because both my multi USB wall charger and power bank supports USB-PD to fast charge it. PC USB ports don't usually provide that much power.

Soldato
OP
Amazon unfortunately removed a few of the reliable brands due to review manipulation. Ravpower has worked quite well for me, current 20,000 I have supports both QC 3.0 and USB-PD 15W.

The S7 supports Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 so any battery bank that supports this standard will fast charge the phone. However I would be tempted to go for a USB-PD one instead as that will be more future proof, and should still provide up to around 10W (5v 2a) of power to the phone.

I charge by the wall but that's because both my multi USB wall charger and power bank supports USB-PD to fast charge it. PC USB ports don't usually provide that much power.

Thanks. I can't find any Ravpower on amazon and they look quite expensive elsewhere.

I'm wondering if you think this one might be worth a punt or too cheap to be any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OKZU-10000...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Soldato
Yeah unfortunately Ravpower was one of the brands removed.

I'm not sure on those other brands. A quick look at the reviews seems quite positive but there is one review stating it might not be a true 10,000 battery.

Could check out the Anker PowerCore 10000 PD Redux, it supports USB-PD 18W on the type C port and 12W on the type A port.

Soldato
OP
Yeah unfortunately Ravpower was one of the brands removed.

I'm not sure on those other brands. A quick look at the reviews seems quite positive but there is one review stating it might not be a true 10,000 battery.

Could check out the Anker PowerCore 10000 PD Redux, it supports USB-PD 18W on the type C port and 12W on the type A port.

Thanks Orcvader. Checked out the Anker Redux, price is very decent at £39.99. But it says supports Galaxy S10 upwards so probably incompatible with mine and it also doesn't look very slim or as slim as other powerbanks I've seen.

Soldato
Thanks Orcvader. Checked out the Anker Redux, price is very decent at £39.99. But it says supports Galaxy S10 upwards so probably incompatible with mine and it also doesn't look very slim or as slim as other powerbanks I've seen.

That's due to the S10 and upwards supporting the USB-PD standard. Older phones will default to the lower ~10W charging speeds. But as mentioned before USB-PD will be more future proof if you want fast charging.

How slim do you need it? Compared to the other two you linked before, it's shorter than them in terms of length and width, but it is a tad more thicker.

Soldato
Aukey and Ravpower were removed for the reasons stated already. Sad really as it leaves Anker to dominate. Anker are good but during these times no better than anyone else on the market - even Anker products have recalls and dodgy usb-c cables from time to time.

I personally used Ravpower stuff and I’ve got a collection of 26,000mAH usb c banks that I use for daily stuff. They’ve been around the world with me and are rock solid.

Soldato
OP
That's due to the S10 and upwards supporting the USB-PD standard. Older phones will default to the lower ~10W charging speeds. But as mentioned before USB-PD will be more future proof if you want fast charging.

How slim do you need it? Compared to the other two you linked before, it's shorter than them in terms of length and width, but it is a tad more thicker.

Ah ok so it'll still charge my S7 Edge but at a lower speed. The thickness of other powerbanks I've seen are about 1.4cm whereas the Redux is 2.5cm so almost twice as thick. I get that USB-PD will future proof me, but is this Anker Redux a quick charge powerbank, or in other words, will it charge my phone at the same speed as my Samsung wall quick charger? I know you said my phone is QC 2.0 but I can't see anywhere on the Redux specs saying quick charge. Sorry for my confusion, lol.

Soldato
OP
Sadly not QC compatible so it won't fast charge it, but compared to QC 2.0 anyway it won't be that far behind.

Ah right, I kind of thought so. Hmm, thing is, right now QC is the more important thing for me. I'll continue to look for a USB-PD unit with QC and if I don't find one or I find it too expensive, I might decide to forego the future proofing and will probably just go ahead and buy a regular QC powerbank. I'll look for an Anker one since that seems to be the best brand option.

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom