• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Powercolour RX 590 Hairdryer

Associate
Boy this thing is loud. Once those fans ramp up, even when on the Silent OC setting I can hear them through my headset. Such a shame because the 1080p performance is stellar. All the latest drivers installed , correctly seated etc. Stable gaming performance. I don't think there's anything mechanically wrong, but it's the loudest card I've ever had. Is there anything else I can do?

Man of Honour
What are your temps like? What case do you have and how is the airflow setup? You could create a fan profile with MSI Afterburner unless you can do it in the Radeon software. I am out of touch with AMD cards seeing as my last was a 6950 flashed with a 6970 bios so have no clue what you can do with their software these days.

Soldato
Try setting the frame rate cap to the same or slightly higher than the refresh rate of you monitor in the Radeon Software (if your monitor refresh rate is 60Hz, set the frame rate cap to 60~70fps).

Without frame rate cap, a graphic card will be running at 100% load at all time if not bottlenecked by CPU.

Caporegime
Boy this thing is loud. Once those fans ramp up, even when on the Silent OC setting I can hear them through my headset. Such a shame because the 1080p performance is stellar. All the latest drivers installed , correctly seated etc. Stable gaming performance. I don't think there's anything mechanically wrong, but it's the loudest card I've ever had. Is there anything else I can do?
Have you tried lowering the voltage? That would be the best way to bring down temperature and fan noise.

As Marine mentioned, setting a frame cap will help too.

Soldato
Setting a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner is pretty much mandatory with Polaris. I have a PowerColor RX 580 that's much quieter when using a tweaked manual fan curve, rather than letting WattMan control the fan speed via its temperature target (which not only overshoots on RPM, but is very slow to back the fan off when load drops). The same was true of the Gigabyte RX 580 and handful of RX 480s that I once had.

Back
Top Bottom