Powerful pump or pumps in parallel?

Associate
Bought a chiller, it's rated for between 3,000 to 6,000 litres/hour.

I've got one spare D5, and one spare Laing DDC 18W.

If I put these in parallel - would this get me my 3,000 litres/hour?
Are there any powerful pumps (that's arnt immersible / just for ponds) which can give me this flowrate?

Associate
Why on earth do you need such high litres/hour ?

I own both sep d5 sep Laing ddc and get no where near that.

Heck i have even got dual Laing ddc `s and get no where near that.
Anyhow at that speed im sure the water would not be that cool

Soldato
That is a very high flow rate, a normal D5 can barely pump at half that rate and that is without any restriction at all.

Is 3000 L/H a absolute minimum you need, or does it refer to something else.

Either way, most people with custom loops I know bearly do 1GPM or 4 Liters or so a minute, your going to need more then 10x that flow rate which is enormous which your not going to hit with your DDC's or D5's even in various configs. In regards to parralel, paper on it here, so not much benefit with your dual D5's: https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/pump-setup-series-vs-parallel/

I use a pair of D5's with EK's serial top to double head pressure but will not get to that sort of number in a very basic loop.

Associate
As per the Martin's article, no point using parallel pumps for PC water cooling, ever. Serial pumps double pressure but don't alter flow. Another Martin's article indicates that cooling performance is not increased (or starts to plateau) after 1GPM as mentioned by @Radox-0. If you really want more then check out pool pumps or something :p. I briefly looked into medical pumps many years ago but they were designed for blood and other things so it wasn't really suitable.

Soldato
A D5 Vario will do up to 1500 LPH, a DDC 18w about 600LPH so if you run theme in parallel you're looking at just north of 2000 LPH.

From the LPH you have said you need (3000-6000) I assume you're looking at a Hailea 4000 or similar? In which case I think the specifications may be a tad misleading.

The 3000-6000 LPH rate is whats stated for that model because it's intended to be used with a 400-1500L aquarium, by comparison the HC500 has a listed requirement of 1200-3000 LPH because it's intended to be used with a 200-800L aquarium.

By comparison both of those units will work fine with a single D5 (or DDC) for cooling a PC, and both are overkill if you're only cooling a CPU and single GPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom