Powerline adaptors, can you limit speed ?

Soldato
Hi I have some TP link adaptors, I would like to put a speed cap on but can not seem to find anything, is it possible ?

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, just wanted to cap the speed to the kids to 100 mb each so no one of them hurts the others or me too much if they have a big download going on :p
I can sort of do do that only allowing them a 2.4ghz wifi connection but a hardwired one for the console/pc would be better even with a speed cap IMO.
I'll have to look and see if I can find a hardwired router with that ability.

Soldato
Thanks guys, just wanted to cap the speed to the kids to 100 mb each so no one of them hurts the others or me too much if they have a big download going on :p

If their PCs are locked down then you could change the NICs' properties to be 100 Mb instead of 1 Gb.

Soldato
OP
That wouldn't work for consoles though ?
I have found a network router that looks like it has those settings, so I'll see how that turns out :p

Don
That wouldn't work for consoles though ?
Nope just PCs unfortunately.

Another oddball option is to wire your own 100Mb Ethernet cables, by only connecting pins 1,2,3 and 6.

87247dV.png

Soldato
I would be very surprised if the powerline themselves are syncing even close to 100mb. Most times I see ~50mb odd on average.

Which powerlines are they? Depending on the brand they sometimes come with an app that can tell you the speed between each powerline node. If not, just do a test large file transfer between PCs.

EDIT: For TP-Link, this should be it: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1086/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would be very surprised if the powerline themselves are syncing even close to 100mb. Most times I see ~50mb odd on average.

Which powerlines are they? Depending on the brand they sometimes come with an app that can tell you the speed between each powerline node. If not, just do a test large file transfer between PCs.

EDIT: For TP-Link, this should be it: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1086/

Yeah TP link, TBH they always seemed pretty reasonable speeds at the Kids console end when I had FTCC, not tried them on the FTTP as it was only installed a few days ago !

Soldato
My link speed was ~142Mbit with brand new wiring, 1 powerline on a ring final and another powerline on 1st socket of a ring final.

That was simply the max I could get with a gigabit one in what I'd say is best case scenario. On same ring maybe you'll get better, but can't imagine it would be much!

Back
Top Bottom