Powerline wireless unit ?

Soldato
Hi, I Currently have a TP link Powerline kit, and would like to get another unit just to add another wifi area.
I can't seem to find just the wifi unit on its own, only by buying another kit.
Does anyone know of any single wifi units sold alone (I believe any brand should pair with the TP link) ?

Soldato
Devolo sell one individually, but it's quite expensive.

I'd use a standalone access point and plug it into a standard adapter (or preferably cable it all the way back to the router).

Soldato
At one point I had a Ubiquity access point connected to a Powerline adaptor which did work fine. Of course bandwidth won't be great with this combination, but when you're using wireless you don't really expect it to be.
I've since replaced the powerlines with CAT5E - but WAP into powerline does do the job.

Soldato
Would plugging in a wifi extender into a circuit which already has powerlines in (as OP has, and I do to), mean the wifi extender draws from that circuit, or do they just feed from the wifi given off by the router, and 'repeat' that?

Soldato
You're referring to two different things (that do look physically similar).

A wireless extender takes a wireless signal and 'boosts it'. All it takes from the wall is power to make it work.

You can also get powerline adapters that have built-in wireless access points. They receive data over the mains and then create their own wireless network.

Back
Top Bottom