PPI Claiming

Soldato
So after receiving loads of cold calls and texts, I thought there must be something in it and decided to look into making some claims.
When I was younger I certainly didn't question PPI being added without me really being given an option.
I used a claims company that do a free check for you and then you can either allow them to do the claim (for 30% +VAT) or you can pursue it yourself (won't mention the company).
So I allowed them to do the free checks and tell me where PPI was likely and then went off and did the claiming myself. Yes they called a couple of times to see if "for convenience" they could do it for me, I declined.
Anyway, bad start.
Barclaycard found a single PPI payment, with interest I received a cheque for £3.74
Egg (via Barclaycard) was a little better, received a cheque for £530.

Yesterday I got the far bigger one in. I've banked with NatWest since I was old enough to have an account. I'd had a couple of bank loans from them where they told me "I could only have the load if I took PPI". However I also knew they were from a long time ago. I was under the impression there was a limit to how far they needed to go back. Anyway, received two offers for two loads I'd taken:

£589
£3490

To give an idea on dates, these date back to 1993/1994

Anyway, nothing more than a "cool story bra" thread, but it means my wife's plans for the living room floor are now covered and I'll also be able to upgrade the TV :)
Oh, and if anybody is sitting on the fence about putting those claims in, do it. Absolutely nothing to lose.

Soldato
It is criminal the percentage the PPI claim companies take for essentially resubmitting the information you need to fill out and give them anyway. You made the right choice pursuing the claim yourself.

Associate
I claimed myself a few years ago and the claim dragged on for well over a year to be finally told I wasn't entitled to anything. I then went with a PPI claim company about a year later and received nearly £1500 a few weeks later.

Soldato
I got 8k back from Barclays for ppi on loans and overdraft I had for a number of years.
I downloaded the forms, all it cost me was price of a stamp.

Associate
I also claimed myself a few years back not using a PPI claim company. Managed to get back just shy of £10k over 3 claims which I was so shocked about! Filling in information is so easy as the lenders has their own questionnaires available online to fill in and send off. A lot of the real detailed information I didn't know, but just filled in the best I could and pleaded ignorance when it came to knowing that I had signed up to PPI at the time.

A well known website with Martin Lewis on it has loads of use cases and information.

Soldato
OP
With my claims I simply told the company all of the firms I wanted to check and then gave them my address history. A few weeks later they sent me the next forms which if I signed would engage them to do the work of putting the claim in. However all of those forms had company names and account numbers or claim references.
So there was nothing to stop me then writing to the individual company and asking to make a PPI claim. Subsequent forms all ask questions about why you think you were mis-sold PPI.
Reasons such as didn't think it was an option, being specifically told it was not an option, not being given a choice, you already having funds in place to make any payments should you find yourself out of work, them not accessing your suitability etc.
Don't suppose there is anything to stop you lying, I possibly embellished what I said, but kept it more or less to the truth - I remember the phone calls from NatWest telling me I could have my loans so long as I took out payment protection.

Soldato
I've had a fair few loans and credit cards over the years....but I've always paid attention and declined PPI when it was offered.

Are there likely to have been times when I've paid PPI without knowing about it?

Soldato
My partner has been waiting over a year to hear back from one of these claim companies. It is depicted as a simple process but her lenders are making anything but.

Soldato
Use Resolver through Martin Lewis website.
Ta; just submitted.

I took out a Credit card back in the early 90's and did have a PPI entry on the statement every month charged at a pound. I confess to always assuming it was some form of monthly premium for holding the card. I cancelled it as soon as the PPI debacle came to light but never thought about making a claim until now.

Realistically, at best I can't really see getting anything more than 420 quid for 20 years’ worth of PPI. So out of interest what premiums were others paying for PPI to get many G's worth of dough?

Caporegime
Interesting that you had the same experience as me, back in the day when taking a loan out I was never given the option for the loan without PPI, as it was made obvious they weren't going to offer me a loan without it.

I'm glad banks are getting taken to the cleaners over it, yes I appreciate the onus was on me to query it but at 18 and looking to buy a car I was just happy to get the money.

Soldato
Mmm any chance you could trust me the company you used to search soofa?

I had credit cards and loans back in the late 90's that had PPI, never bothered to check as it was so long ago and I have no idea on the account details.

Underboss
I did it through a company about 5/6 years ago, got back £5000 or so and ended up paying them back about 12.5% IIRC.

Obviously due to the popularity now the agent fees have risen quite a lot. Took them about 6 months all told and luckily I had bank statements/letters etc from the companies in my cabinet which helped the process.

It's always nice having a large cheque land on the doorstep when you don't expect it.

Soldato
I took out a loan with Barclays years ago which was 9k with the PPI i HAD to have and interest i paid back 14k thankfully i wrote to them and had to speak to someone also about it and had a cheque back for around £3k so was totally worth doing.

I did also take a a loan with Citi and wasn't sure if it was with PPI as it was so long ago, I used a PPI claim company as i thought it would be easier and since sending in the form and receiving confirmation they got it i haven't heard a thing, It's been at least 6 months and i can not remember who it was to chase up .

Back
Top Bottom