• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PPT? TDC? EDC? PTC? WTF?

Associate
Hi all, I was recently converted from the blue team to the red. My first AMD CPU is the Ryzen 7 2700X.
So far I'm loving the video encoding speeds compared to my old Intel Core i7 4790.

I got myself an Asus Rog Strix X470-F Gaming motherboard and 16GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram.
Hopefully, I've given all the specs I need to give, if not please ask. :D

My reason for joining in the conversations on this forum is to ask what PPT, TDC, EDC and PTC are? These are things that are coming up in Ryzen Master and I can't make sense of them. I have Googled but can't make sense of the explanations. Can anyone tell me, preferably in plain English, what these actually mean? :confused:
In Ryzen Master, EDC is coming up in the red at 95-100% of 140A with a limit of 168A.
PTC (CPU) is at 95C but on the left Temperature is at 60-80C - I am encoding a 1080p home video from my Sony camera to mkv to share with family at the same time.

PPT and TDC are both in the 80-90% range.

As I said, this is my first AMD and I'm ready for my crash course.

Thank you greatly for any help anyone can provide :p

Associate
OP
Hmmm. Interesting. I do want to learn to overclock but maybe I'll just leave as is for now and lurk around the forums a bit more so I can get my confidence in such things. Should I be worried about the high percentages or is that something that is supposed to be high?
Thanks, and thanks for the responses and bump.

Associate
OP
I'm currently using the Wraith cooler that came with my Ryzen. Do you think I'd be better water cooling before I start my overclocking experiment? I was looking at this one - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cooler-with-oled-display-120mm-hs-04g-as.html

My CPU seems to be getting a little too hot for my liking sometimes hitting 70-80 Degrees C when it's sitting idle. That's according to Ryzen Master which according to some users of this forum is the better program for giving true temps. This whole thing has been a bit of a headache, but as I said, I'm ready for my crash course and it's people like you guys that make it a little easier for me to understand - so thanks

Associate
OP
WOW! That is really good info and thank you for taking the time to write all that out and explain it in terms that are easy for me to understand.

I like that cooler as it has a funky OLED screen although I'm sure it's maybe overkill and a bit gimmicky. I've also been looking at NZXT ones as a lot of members on here seem to have them.

I'm going to check that out tonight and report back when I get the time. Thank again. You're an absolute star!

Associate
OP
I did cheap out on the case :rolleyes:
I got this one https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KDR6N4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, it can only take 1x120 at the back but can take 2x120 at the front. None on top. I bought these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LA0R2X6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have one at the back for exhaust and 2 at the front for intake. I know I will probably regret the cheap case but I use my BluRay pretty often and the really good (and purdy) cases I found didn't have room for optical drives.
Do you think I could attach a 240 to the front instead of the back??? Hmm. Maybe not. I have my HDD's in the front too and there may not be enough room for the fans and the grill of a water cooler. I really shouldn't have cheaped out on the case. Perhaps this is something a newbie should read! Haha

All of this is very confusing to someone like me, but I really appreciate the input.

Associate
OP
Ok so I tried the overclocking method you described and my system completely froze after 2 minutes in idle.

I installed my Corsair Hydro H55 (after ordering the AM4 retention bracket from Corsair) and this has made no difference to temps. Even at idle I'm getting about 60-80C. I've checked the AIO and there is vibration and the tubes are a little warm. The exhaust fan that the radiator is attached to is blowing out warm/hot air, so I'm guessing the AIO is working?

I've decided to leave the overclocking for now until I get get the temps way down while idle and at factory defaults. Do you think I may have a faulty CPU?

Thanks

Associate
OP
I shall try this ASAP. Thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate it. Would a higher wattage PSU be in my best interest? I currently have a 550W PSU in that build but I have 750W in my work computer, and I could swap them over as the 750W one in work is just overkill I think.

Associate
OP
Bit of an update for you all. I contacted AMD who got me to test a few things take screenshots and send them my dxdiag. They said there is a problem with the CPU as it shouldn't be getting that hot. Just returned it today for a refund and bought another one. It'll be a day or two before I have it but hopefully, that will be the end of my high-temperature woes.
I'll update again when I have tested it and hopefully have lowered temps.

Associate
OP
Right, so, new CPU in and temps are a lot better. I'm hitting 80C under load using Handbrake, which I've heard is good for putting your CPU through its paces. At idle it is sitting at around 30-40C so I'm a happy camper again. Just need to figure out all the stuff in the title of this post. You guys have been an enormous help and I can't wait to try the overclocking features to see if I can push things a little further.

Back
Top Bottom