Pre-Built System Help - Gamer

Associate
ocuk1.jpg

Something like the above would be more than enough for the resolution you want to play at, even if you upgrade to a bigger monitor in the future, the 5770 will still perform well. The Mobo also supports crossfire, so can add another 5770 in there as well if you want more power. i3 is more than capable for a gaming rig and for the price gives excellent performance. I'd get an after market CPU cooler down the line and get the i3 overclocked.

Soldato
ocuk1.jpg

Something like the above would be more than enough for the resolution you want to play at, even if you upgrade to a bigger monitor in the future, the 5770 will still perform well. The Mobo also supports crossfire, so can add another 5770 in there as well if you want more power. i3 is more than capable for a gaming rig and for the price gives excellent performance. I'd get an after market CPU cooler down the line and get the i3 overclocked.

agreed that is a nice build too for the money.

Associate
OP
great :) i might just ordered as u listed .. .appreciate that

forgot to mention i have a copy of Windows Xp 32 bit, unless i should be getting windows 7 or 64bit to enhance gaming? (if it does)

Thank you !!!!]
p.s i have an old system but not really worth using the h/d etc would much rather get all new. (all old hat)

Soldato
great :) i might just ordered as u listed .. .appreciate that

forgot to mention i have a copy of Windows Xp 32 bit, unless i should be getting windows 7 or 64bit to enhance gaming? (if it does)

Thank you !!!!]
p.s i have an old system but not really worth using the h/d etc would much rather get all new. (all old hat)

windows xp is fine for now, can always upgrade in the future when more funds become available. will save you some money to put towards a better case/psu etc

Soldato
Here's a quick spec

sys-1.jpg

Some things can be changed and the hard drive is out of stock but knowing OCUK they will have them back in in a flash :)

This system is the best all-round choice. The motherboard can do symmetrical Crossfire at PCI-E 2.0 8X meaning that if the OP adds another HD5770 in the future they have performance near to that of an HD5770:

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=862

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2983/his_radeon_hd_5770_1gb_video_card_in_crossfire/index.html

The Phenom II X4 955BE is a better choice for gaming too than a Core i3 530 or a Core i5 661:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=88&p2=118

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=88&p2=117

The motherboards listed in the Intel builds can do asymmetrical Crossfire meaning one card is running at PCI-E 2.0 4X and the other at PCI-E 2.0 16X. This can lead to a performance hit.

The more expensive Intel motherboards do symmetrical Crossfire.

You can use your copy of XP for now and then you can always upgrade to Windows 7 at a later date.

If you are student or work in the NHS you should be able to get Windows 7 cheaper IIRC.

However if you want to get Windows 7 I would do the following:
1.)Drop the aftermarket cooler and thermal compound from the build hence saving you around £24
2.)Get a cheaper case such as a Coolermaster Elite 334 which will save £15:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-184-CM

Last edited:
Associate
OP
more gr8 info thank you.

Your right i prob shud upgrade to windows 7 and im spending all this money on a machine ill save up another £80 for win 7. presume 64bit will give me better performance (seems natural choice). Thank you !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right im about to order in next few days.... Just one final question..

Will i need to buy a monitor with a HDMI connection ? i.e I presume this would give me better graphics rather than using the DVI connection?

Or is the HDMI purely to carry video & sound in 1 cable?

Thanks

Soldato
Right im about to order in next few days.... Just one final question..

Will i need to buy a monitor with a HDMI connection ? i.e I presume this would give me better graphics rather than using the DVI connection?

IIRC for very high resolutions HDMI has more bandwidth but for a 24" monitor just get the best monitor and do not worry about whether it is DVI or HDMI.I could be wrong though!!

Or is the HDMI purely to carry video & sound in 1 cable?

Thanks
In most cases this is the advantage HDMI has over DVI.

What components do you hope to get for your computer BTW??

Associate
OP
IIRC for very high resolutions HDMI has more bandwidth but for a 24" monitor just get the best monitor and do not worry about whether it is DVI or HDMI.I could be wrong though!!

In most cases this is the advantage HDMI has over DVI.

What components do you hope to get for your computer BTW??

I am going to order the spec you quoted / listed in your post above . Will phone oCUK on thursday (my day off) and see what we can arrange. I want them to build it becoz i know i will dogde it up n will take the cost on the chin

btw i have a 17" Dell LCD at moment.

Associate
OP
Right im going to order the spec quoted above by "CAT" but upgrading the hard drive to 1TB Samsung F3.

I am taking a punt at building it myself as i cannto afford to pay OCUK to build this for me. Got to learn sometime.

Last question . Anyone have any discount code to apply at checkout? I was a member of OCUK a few years back but lost my login id etc for "free delivery".

Associate
OP
lol..... order it in one hit and pay delivery only once!!!!!!

I am doing mate :) ordering all bits in 1 hit, just wanted to check if anyone had a discount code for forum members or any "offers". Free Delivery or 5% off etc.

Will get it delivered for Sat ( due to work). So will pay the £16 or watever it came to.

Back
Top Bottom