Pre-built vs Custom Build PC's for workplace?

Associate
Sorry, I should have said, the Dell system will include 3 years on site warranty from Dell.

The only parts that have much of an upgrade path are going to be Ryzen which as mentioned, I don't particularly want. Intel, in my experience have never liked the word 'upgrade' so other than Ram/Hdd/GPU, there's not much of an upgrade path there.

We will be claiming VAT back, yes.

It sounds like you had already made up your mind.

How many systems will you be replacing?

I would be tempted to build a Ryzen system based of what people suggest here see how it goes worst case is you return the parts or sell them on.

Associate
OP
It sounds like you had already made up your mind.

How many systems will you be replacing?

I would be tempted to build a Ryzen system based of what people suggest here see how it goes worst case is you return the parts or sell them on.
Not at all. I posted here as I'm genuinely torn.

As I mentioned, I've not had the best experience with Ryzen systems and while I have read things like memory compatibility have improved, the benchmarks etc seem to put the 11700K and the 5800x at very similar performance.

Associate
OP
I just thought I'd post an update on my decision...

I declined the quote for the Dell Precision this morning and have decided to build 2 custom pc's instead.

My reasoning in the end came down to the fact that Dell (and other manufacturers) cut corners in places that I may not even be aware of. The reviews I've seen suggest that the Dell Precisions get incredibly hot and start to thermal throttle, and the power supplies are often proprietary making it difficult to upgrade in the future. I'm not sure about the Precision line up but I know the current home PC's don't even have a 24 pin motherboard connector. Top that with the fact the Xeon CPU was only 6 core vs 8 cores in the i7, it just didn't make sense to get the Xeon.

In the end, I opted for buying two Quadro RTX 4000's off eBay for £525 each) and will build the two PC's around those. I figured that I'll be able to do the full build for around £1300 with a much better GPU than the Dell would have had.

Back
Top Bottom