Pre-employment check with new employer

Associate
Hi all, I am new to the forum.

Just to check if anyone had come into this situation in job search.

I got a job offer from a new employer, on condition of successful pre-employment check.

But the pre-employment check needs to contact the current employer for the reference check on my current role. I had asked the new employer if payslip with current employer could be used as proof to serve the purpose, but it could not be accepted.

As a job applicant, ideally I would like to see the confirmed offer before handing in resignation. But this is not quite possible under the situation, and the policy of the new employer really put me in an awkward position. It looks like I need to hand in resignation, make the pre-employment check completed, only then get the offer confirmed.

Hoping to see if anyone has similar experience shared. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Do you work for a small company? In most cases they'll contact HR and get confirmation on your job role.
The fact is, I already held up this part.

After all the other parts within the pre-employment check were cleared, I agreed they could contact my current employer a few days ago.

Today the my HR contacted me saying they received an employment reference request. HR said they would only provide the reference after seeing my resignation letter.:(

Soldato

After all the other parts within the pre-employment check were cleared, I agreed they could contact my current employer a few days ago.

Today the my HR contacted me saying they received an employment reference request. HR said they would only provide the reference after seeing my resignation letter.:(

What has your new prospective employer said? I would put it back to them and say you're not going to put in your resignation until you have a contractual offer of employment.

I really can't see them expecting you to put your notice in just so they can do a reference check.

Soldato

I don't think thats the correct behaviour. It doesn't work like that where I work.

Soldato
Employers are not obliged to provide references in the first place. I'd contact the prospective employer and explain the situation; may take sympathy esp if they want you and give you a firm offer.

Most employers hardly give anything I a reference these days anyhow so are pretty pointless

Man of Honour
It's a bit unusual to have to provide references before getting an offer these days. Normally you get an offer, subject to satisfactory references being provided, with the caveat they can a withdraw the offer if not received.

Caporegime
Normally you get an offer, subject to satisfactory references being provided, with the caveat they can a withdraw the offer if not received.

That's what he does have it seems:
I got a job offer from a new employer, on condition of successful pre-employment check.

I mean it should be kinda implied anyway, companies can't realistically check references before making an offer and if, when they do check your references, they get something back like Joe Bloggs was fired for misconduct or Joe actually totally made up his job title on his CV and was employed as X from 2018 - 2022 etc.. then they might well withdraw the offer.

I'm not sure why it's been complicated in this thread, any employer would quite likely withdraw an offer if a red flag comes up when checking references, if you want the job then you hand in your resignation and accept the offer of employment.

(I realise this is a slightly old thread now that someone else has bumped but meh... no one seems to have commented that this is quite normal)

Man of Honour
I think I was confused by this statement "ideally I would like to see the confirmed offer before handing in resignation" and took that to mean he didn't actually have an offer in writing.

Caporegime
Dodgy HR.

Not necessarily. OP seems to have overcomplicated a fairly normal offer of employment so god knows what he said to HR.

I mean surely from the company's pov they want to know; are you resigning? If so then our policy is that we will confirm job title + dates of employment. If you're not resigning then WTF are you playing at here?

I think most companies would require a good reason to provide that otherwise. For example, if you're in a salaried role and you're planning to work two jobs then that might come into conflict with your contractual obligations to your existing employer unless the second job were say some sort of part-time and/or public service role.

Back
Top Bottom