Pre-installed Vista Premium to Windows 7 Pro upgrade

Associate
Hi,
I just need a bit of clarification please.

I have a Dell laptop with Vista HP pre installed and I want to purchase Windows 7 Professional 64 upgrade.

Can I do a clean install of windows 7? If so do I need to provide the vista key?

I have never done a Windows upgrade before so I am not clear on the process.

Thanks

Associate
OP
I just got an e-mail from Microsoft:
Be kindly informed that in order to Upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional you need to purchase Windows 7 Professional Upgrade. Please notice the fact that if your Vista is a 32 bit version the upgrade will automatically install the 32 bit version Windows 7 Professional.
In order for you to have the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit version, you need to purchase Windows 7 Professional Full and to make a clean install. In order to find more information about Windows 7 Professional please follow the link bellow: http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/en-GB/Microsoft/Windows-7-Professional-Full .

From that I understand that I need a full Pro windows 7 to upgrade from Vista 32 to Win 7 pro 64.

Associate
furman
Thanks for the link, so I can use the Upgrade DVD to do a clean install but not activate until after install.

Microsoft at one time were telling people to go that way, so if you intend to use a upgrade version, then I would do it. You activate on the second time around, but have your product key for Vista handy.:p

Associate
OP
Do I need to provide a serial for a Vista 64 to install the Windows 7 64? I only have Vista HP 32.

I just want to make sure beforehand :)

Associate
You can use your upgrade disc to upgrade itself (well that just sounded confusing) Format drive if needed. Install the windows 7 disc but do not put your serial key in.
This will give you a trial version of windows 7. Now reinstall windows 7 (do not reformat drive) again, this is classed as your upgrade. enter your serial number when prompted. I know this method deffo worked on vista and I'm 99.9% certian it still works on windows 7.

Associate
OP
I have an original Windows 7 Pro 64 DVD, will it make a difference if I just use that and the new upgrade serial?

Just asking because it takes ages to install Windows on a dog laptop :)

Back
Top Bottom