Prescription Cycling Glasses

Caporegime
Bit of an aside, but is there any particular reason you say this? I've got my glasses online for the past few years and had no issues. Spend about £20 on a normal pair, once you know your PD it's fine really.
I've had glasses fitted by a skilled DO and not fitted by a skilled DO and my experience of the two is that I get a better fit from seeing someone in person.

Plus I'm biased, and rally against the volume optics type treatment that has almost destroyed a profession :p.

Soldato
What do you mean by "fit" though? Because every time I've been in an opticians all they've done is tell me how well the bridge fits my nose, which I can feel and just return if online frames don't fit, and sometimes slightly bend the arms so they sit level, which again you can do yourself. You're always going to need an optician to actually get your prescription in the first place, but I think the advent of cheap online glasses is great if it means more people can access good, up to date eyewear without avoiding the opticians for a decade for fear of the bill you're going to get.

Associate
I came to this thread as I was looking for some new sports glasses,seeing as the old pair(supplied but my employer were getting a bit broke and trying to see through superglue was off putting, then something Saitrix earlier got me interested. so I bought some cheap sports glasses from Wish/ALIexpress and waited. I bought two pairs from two different suppliers but they arrived within a day of each other, about a week or so. Then looked online for someone to put lenses in the pop in frames, but found a local company to do it, so I wouldn't have to wait for postage both ways. and this is the result.
y4mMmOfkoVn4g-3VbXA3AiHN9cQSBr0U-93RUKdQyvirt32I-6vF2SRxjYX6uUL4Wl7Ttk76FzpPunBWBvxRSrZwBby3d9KPomhTJ4521VsLVK85QIeFI_4u_dkXLIspAH4Q16rqRvemErKhweR_8xgIS-8xU6-jLA9Ko2SDqtcW45BvwP7KP4rcQ7C4B3znXOcDA4zPjveXFwD5UN9gFD3PA

y4mkWpf8euM9pjh9oEBmiVYp0Z8leta7i_HFG0XpNnVRbDxcuUPXGB9J-CUPC7mfqCCTncWK7tkN_pTdPyaT7-6vxLNPoIVIVqRJyhKNltiKLwdqGcBRpDorCQfCR01AV1i-xjhB-1ugG-t4wxXZOn-rtka8Um_kK4_euTeizyLSJyH8U8G3gv0jJNjdPx9Bbsf4s1HqbpRKYgEVqd6u911Gg

each pair came with several different outer lenses a case hard and soft and a cleaning cloth.

cost was £114 for both sets the pop in lenses were £50 each as they are hardened thin and clears.
the glasses them selves are cheap and on close inspection show it, but the pop in lenses are generic and should fit a large variety of glasses from most of the far eastern manufactures.

this month has been an expensive one on the glasses front. I needed new specs any way so bough a pair from a high street retailer the two more from specsdirect then the sports glasses this is the haul.
y4m1nlhnM1YM7TmRtnQARg4QimdGVUW9V1VO2P7deRPAyQtFct9f4j2pQ3o_hmWVxrFkAVBscxmKmBq4asZd7_qVDR7XsOt7hSGTSqypm1Vk0cNBm3CR5q9WhfR5izPhOyQAPUvr8oto6_neXHgCc4-4N9AFDc3B_cP_cSW6Z8CWz7cx2wGJSMDdc48NCuoCq56UZ_A472_L3huaqwsmAwL0g

the one pair from the high street were the same cost as all the other four put together. Now just have to get out on the bike to test them.

Thank you Saitrix

bullit

Soldato
Rather than created a new thread thought I'd bump this one as already contains a lot of good info. I'm in the market for a set of prescription glasses for cycling, I normally wear my standard prescription sunglasses in good weather or contacts if overcast however I'd ideally like a set of transition glasses that could be used for all cycling occasions. Any new recommendations in addition to the above? Thanks

Soldato
Another thread bump as I fancy getting a new pair of prescription cycling glasses. I currently have a set but I think they're a generic clip in one rather than anything customised to my exact prescription. I don't like the ones I currently have as they seem to distort my vision which affects my depth perception. Not something you want when out riding!

What would folk recommend as it's been a while since this thread was updated! Any good online sites? I just want something functional/comfortable with a light tint that provides coverage against the wind when out riding. Not fussed about designer brands/styling or anything like that.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
any reason you don’t want to use contacts? I’ve been using contacts for cycling for about a year and they work great and you can then wear whatever glasses you want.

Soldato
any reason you don’t want to use contacts? I’ve been using contacts for cycling for about a year and they work great and you can then wear whatever glasses you want.

I generally commute to work by bike so that would mean wearing my contact lenses every day which I don’t want to do.

Back
Top Bottom