• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Prevent Nvidia Driver updates

Soldato
Pulling my hair out.

I did full reinstall and installed the best drivers I have been using for GTAV

368.81 + GFE 2.11.4.0 (use it for shadow play)

Now I have disabled all auto updates in GFE and I have switched off Hardware updates in window
5hajueN.jpg

But for some reason windows keeps on updating the full suit of drivers...

I do not want 376 as they have no benefit for my card and cause stuttering in GTAV

Before my format I was fine... has something changed since Anniversary edition new build that will just not let you stop hardware updates???

Is this just a windows thing or has Nvidia done something?

Soldato
OP
opethdisciple;30493639 said:
I took it to mean it bases it's auto update of drivers on the date of the driver. Meaning if you have newer drivers it wont auto 'update' them.

That is the issue, I want to run a driver dated July 16 as it is the most stable I have used for my 980ti

However

I have just seen this is being discussed in the diver thread from your post so will have this moved

Mod please move as I am useless.....

Man of Honour
^^ This isn't GFE (necessarily) Windows 10 seems to be doing its own thing at the moment and messing around with people's nVidia driver install.

I dunno why people seem to think that option prevents automatic driver updates ;p it hasn't done so for months and the description if you read it carefully now lists it as an option for whether you get additional software and icons when Windows does automatically force a driver on you along with the driver or whether it just forces the core driver.

Automatic updates without manual control is bad and wrong and people need to stop using Windows 10 til MS listens :(

Soldato
OP
Reality|Bites;30494166 said:
Just disable/uninstall GFE

I want GFE 2.4.11.0 for the old shadow play, and have been using it since July 16, never wanted to go to GFE 3.0 and have disabled GFE updates.

Also I want to Run 368.81 Drivers because they are the most stable on my GTX 980TI in GTA V. I have had issues with the majority since that release and there is no benefit of me going to a new version.

However all sorted

see Disco P post

I

Associate
Same thing happened to me in recent days I was using what I believed to be a decent driver at 375.95 and Windows automatically updated it to 378 without me even knowing :/.

Restarted the PC and the system wouldnt boot up. BIOS recovery+BIOS updating popped up soon after :o. Then I also had to select my boot up drive again. Rolled back the driver and freezing on Windows boot up again... not restarted the PC in days, will have trouble getting on again.

Soldato
Another thing to add, Microsoft I think with the Creators update will start enforcing users who buy games from the Windows store to have the latest drivers for their GPU.

It kind of makes sense really. If you can reduce 50% of the people who have issues with games (at least from the windows store) by having them running the latest drivers then bug fixing and performance is a more controlled variable because everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

Tl;dr - keep your drivers up to date.

Associate
I seriously don't understand what's with all the complaints.

Neither Windows 10, nor GFE force you to install anything.

I am running Windows 10 as I have since release day. I have GFE, i am currently running a driver installed on 28/10 last year and it has stayed like that since. Yes, there are notifications that new drivers are available and there was no reason to install them so I haven't

Soldato
Griffildur;30494548 said:
I seriously don't understand what's with all the complaints.

Neither Windows 10, nor GFE force you to install anything.

I am running Windows 10 as I have since release day. I have GFE, i am currently running a driver installed on 28/10 last year and it has stayed like that since. Yes, there are notifications that new drivers are available and there was no reason to install them so I haven't

That is incorrect windows 10 for a lot of us has forced an install of NVidia drivers we don't want and during the install wiped our personal settings away. Have you check your driver version in the past 24hours? A lot of us had a forced install in the past 24hours.

Soldato
Windows 10 is a menace with it's updates.

I disable the windows update service in windows 10 and only enable it when I want to actually do updates. But I do it via powershell rather than the GUI as you can decide which ones to install manually.

Associate
Pottsey;30494932 said:
That is incorrect windows 10 for a lot of us has forced an install of NVidia drivers we don't want and during the install wiped our personal settings away. Have you check your driver version in the past 24hours? A lot of us had a forced install in the past 24hours.

yes, I just did it again just now, I am still on 376.53 released on 28/10/2016 while current version is 378.49.

As for personal settings, that has only happened once when there was that anniversary windows 10 update. Just once and that was it so hardly something you can generalise. I have everything turned off, Cortana included and I notice very quickly when something happens

Soldato
Griffildur;30494961 said:
yes, I just did it again just now, I am still on 376.53 released on 28/10/2016 while current version is 378.49.

As for personal settings, that has only happened once when there was that anniversary windows 10 update. Just once and that was it so hardly something you can generalise. I have everything turned off, Cortana included and I notice very quickly when something happens
376.53 is the one that got forced out to everyone. We never choose to install 376.53 windows decided we needed it and automatically installed it. Like a lot of people in February I was forced onto that version.

Man of Honour

Loads of people have had it forced on them - some on older drivers (some specifically for various reasons have stuck with an older driver), some on the latest release that is slightly newer have even been downgraded and components installed that they've previously had deselected.

While it doesn't happen that often with Windows 10 it does happen and not completely rarely and it shouldn't happen at all not even once.

Soldato
OP

As has been said, 376.53 is the version that WINDOWS is installing on machines if you have an older driver.

It is absolutely a windows issue. As I have said I do not want to run any driver older than 368.81 as there is no benefit in it for me and as the adage go's, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The same goes for GFE. I use it for shadow play and I am quite happy with version 2.4.11. That I do have control over have stopped it being updated to 3.x

The problem is why is windows updating our drivers regardless of our settings old and new and why has this suddenly become an issue.

Anyway Disco p's solution posted above works fine and that will be the way forward for me. Universe is back in order, 368.81 is installed and I have just spent 4 hours in GTAO and not one stutter...

Associate
Pottsey;30495115 said:
376.53 is the one that got forced out to everyone. We never choose to install 376.53 windows decided we needed it and automatically installed it. Like a lot of people in February I was forced onto that version.

this is strange because I actually chose to install that driver and the reason I did not install anything else was because they were all updates for games I didn't have or even want :)

Soldato
Griffildur;30495494 said:
this is strange because I actually chose to install that driver and the reason I did not install anything else was because they were all updates for games I didn't have or even want :)
So you understand the complaints now and see how windows has forced drivers installs?

Soldato
Last night, my Nvidia graphics driver crashed playing a game. I thought alright, I'll just restart to reload the driver. What I didn't know was that Microsoft would immediately force their Intel HD4600 graphics driver update onto my computer, without even letting me know that was going on. So I restarted, probably in the middle of that update, Windows never told me "wait till this is installed" or anything, and the driver update I didn't need or want must have only partly installed, because the restart failed, and when I finally did get the computer going, it had all sorts of issues going on. The bus clock was going to 267, the CPU clock speed to over 6,000MHz. Not good, not fast. Everything freezing. 10 fps in GTA, 10 fps in Valley, screen flickering on desktop etc. Meantime, I had no idea all this Intel driver update business had gone on, so I tried all sorts of other things. It was only when I installed DDU and it listed Intel's HD4600 driver as having been installed moments after the Nvidia driver crash, that I thought yeah let's uninstall that. And hey presto it sorted everything, even the weird bus clock/clock speed readings.

This is very unprofessional from Microsoft, not to mention a pain in the ****. Wrong to force without asking, wrong to not let you know it's going on, and to top it off, not even the right driver this time.

Back
Top Bottom