Printer Help Please

Soldato
Hi I am in the market for a new printer for my Daughter who is Home Schooling..

I am town between the HP Smart Tank or the Epson Eco Tank.

Which brand is the way to go and also which model you reckon please

Soldato
OP
The Epson EcoTank is superb. It’s cheap to run, reliable and the bottles last ages. You soon recoup the upfront cost.
Are the Text that printed on it nice and crisp? I was looking at the HP at first as i like the font loading paper tray. But now thinking of the Epson as they are meant be leading in Printer makers?

Soldato
I have an epson eco tank ET-2720
Prints nice and crisp yes
One thing to ge aware of though
If you don't use it for a lengthy period of time
Although they are tank fill
There's actually cartridges in them and not using them
For extended periods the cartridges still clog up
Same as their non eco tank printers

Laser for just black would make sense to me
For colour I agree expensive

Soldato
If your user will bne sporadic, with long gaps between printing - I have to echo the above. An inkjet will be an absolute pain. It will clog up, you will use most of the ink trying to do self clean runs, and it still won't work properly. So you'll end up spending far more.

For that use profile - laser all the way.

On the other hand, if you're going to use it frequently, then nothing wrong with inkjet, and you'll get better quality photo prints.

Soldato
If it actually did clog up
Rather than waste ink self cleaning
I just remove cartridges
Spray glass cleaner on kitchen roll
Put that onto the spikes that puncture the cartridges
Leave 5 minutes
Keep repeating until there's no ink on kitchen roll
I have Saved I don't know how many peoples epson printers
Doing that

Harder to do on an ecotank though
As the cartridges aren't easily accessible
There's a little tube runs from the ink tanks
Which goes into the cartridges

Associate
Are the Text that printed on it nice and crisp? I was looking at the HP at first as i like the font loading paper tray. But now thinking of the Epson as they are meant be leading in Printer makers?
Yes if you use the high quality setting. I have had mine for five years and it has only needed the clean cycle once or twice a year if I haven’t used it for a while. For mono only I can see the logic in a laser (I recommend Brother) but the EcoTank is a great printer and very cheap to run.

Soldato
I have an Epson PX720WD I bought around 2012 and converted to bulk ink shortly after geting it with remote ink tanks.
I've reset the page count on it 3 times now so over 60k pages.
Epson have a print limit on it as apparently the ink pad can be saturated.... well so they say.

Never had any issues that a few print head cleans cycles can't fix.... even when it's been run totally out of ink on some colours. or not used for a couple of months.
Usually it prints first time though drivers are becoming an issues these days....

When it eventually dies I'll be getting an ink tank. Good to see there are other brands now as originally it was just Epson.

Back
Top Bottom