Printing Woes.....

Associate
First off, I am no expert when it comes to photography, pre-proofing etc, and I may not even have the software required, but hoping someone can give me some guidance.

My 11yo is into her arts and crafts, making costumes etc. We always take photos of her work on my Pixel 7. She has started to ask for print versions to make a kind of scrapbook.
Monitor is a BENQ EX2710Q and the Printer is an Epson XP 6100
Problem is, even on decent paper, matte or glossy, the prints look nothing like the original. I partially know what the problem is, I am just not sure how to fix it.
The only photo software I have is PaintShop pro 2021. The picture looks great on-screen, and closely matches what I see on the phone, and on my tablet. ( Nothing is calibrated so I expect some minor differences)
If I print at this point, the resulting photo is darker and really cold. Everything has a blue hue.
Changing the Color management settings in Paint Shop Pro to match my monitor and printer (Something I learned how to do last night) results in a darker, colder image on screen, more resembling what the printer spits out.
This explains the poor print, which now resembles what's on screen, just darker, as expected due to paper. Anything white just becomes a shade of blue.

Can I improve this situation? Not sure exactly where to start.
I did some googling last night, and ended up down some expensive rabbit holes :p
Can I "Convince" my printer to print roughly what is on screen? Not after perfection, just warmer, more realistic colours.
Really don't want to waste time editing each image, but appreciate this may be a necessity.

Strangely, my old Canon printer never had this issue. I have printed and framed many family photos over the years.
The Epson just prints garbage in comparison. The printer can`t be that bad, can it?

Did some test printing from different programs, with similar results. Also tried the various colour settings in the Epson print dialog, ICM etc.
Just made things worse. The issue is less pronounced if I use a "standard" quality print. Changing to "High quality" just results in a colder darker image.

Just being able to get rid of the overwhelming amount of Blue hue in the print would be a huge step forward.

Do I need to use different profiles? If so, How?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Man of Honour
Just want to say printers are terrible and I hate them. I feel your pain and will be keeping an eye on the thread for any potentially useful pointers to relieve future frustrations.

Soldato
Try printing from another application, e.g. Microsoft Photos, and see what happens. You will then know if the problem is with PaintShop Pro specifically or is a general problem with your printer.

Soldato
You should be able to manually adjust the colour balance in the printers settings. I have just checked and i have the options to do it even on a very basic epson printer. Right click on the printer icon in your task bar and select "printer settings", then click the more options tab and set colour correction to custom and click advanced.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You should be able to manually adjust the colour balance in the printers settings. I have just checked and i have the options to do it even on a very basic epson printer. Right click on the printer icon in your task bar and select "printer settings", then click the more options tab and set colour correction to custom and click advanced.

It was this I could not find. Set it to ICM as default and all is good in the world again. Printing straight from the google photos app rather than faffing about.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom