Private Car Sale Question

Associate
My brother recently sold his Corsa privately to another person.
The person who bought it has had the car for just over a week now and now and text my brother to saying he is taking it to a mechanic as there is a knocking noise coming from the engine.

Can this private buyer expect my brother to pay for any repairs or even refund him?
I am of the understanding that private car sales are sold as seen.

The car was in good condition, described accurately and had no MOT failures

Soldato
The Consumer Rights act doesn't cover private sales, so I suspect your brother is pretty safe. For private sales, it just needs to be 'roadworthy' which I guess it was at the time.

Associate
OP
Thanks Basher, this was my thought also.
Just looking confirmation really.

The car is roadworthy, was always serviced and passed it previous MOT

Soldato
My brother recently sold his Corsa privately to another person.
The person who bought it has had the car for just over a week now and now and text my brother to saying he is taking it to a mechanic as there is a knocking noise coming from the engine.

Can this private buyer expect my brother to pay for any repairs or even refund him?
I am of the understanding that private car sales are sold as seen.

The car was in good condition, described accurately and had no MOT failures

Tell your brother to quote "Caveat emptor" to the buyer. If the buyer says they don't know what that means, tell them to google it, and they'll find out how buyers have zero recourse for a private sale.

Soldato
For private sales, it just needs to be 'roadworthy' which I guess it was at the time.

The main thing is not lying on an advert. I.e. saying new brake disks/pads and tyres all around, to then finding out the following day that all 4 corners are metal on metal. A lot of this sort of stuff should be picked up when you inspect the car prior to purchase anyway.

Associate
Generally no recourse, so long as any information offered to the buyer is truthful. Lying on an advert would give the buyer an avenue to claim, but I'd assume that wasn't the case. Also a good reason to never claim the car 'runs like new' or anything in an advert, always just be factual and leave opinion out of it.

Caporegime
Generally no recourse, so long as any information offered to the buyer is truthful. Lying on an advert would give the buyer an avenue to claim, but I'd assume that wasn't the case. Also a good reason to never claim the car 'runs like new' or anything in an advert, always just be factual and leave opinion out of it.
I’ve noticed many these days say the car “drives like a dream” which is quite crafty as we all know you can have good or bad dreams.... :D

Sounds like the buyer is trying it on with the OP, as said so long as he’s not described it as perfect where it isn’t then tell the buyer to jog on.

Soldato
If you can prove a fault was present at time of sale that was not disclosed to you then you do have a valid case against a private seller.

Speaking from successful experience.

Associate
OP
@WoodyUK out of interest how can that be proven?
If the car is roadworthy, no false claims with advert and buyer was happy at the time.

It sounds like the buyer is looking for an excuse taking his time (over a week) to take to a mechanic to find an issue

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I discovered my old S3's wheel bearing had gone turbo wasn't working properly when I drove it home. I didn't go on the motorway during a test drive (learnt my lesson there!). Did I turn around to complain? No, I drove it straight it straight to a garage for a quote. Private purchase, sold as seen. I have since become much more careful when buying cars.

edit - was the turbo I didn't notice on the test drive. Wheel bearing I noticed straight away. Anyway, point still stands. There's a reason private sales are cheaper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom