Pro Evolution Soccer 2018

Associate
So the demo's been out a few days, has anyone had a chance to play it?

My first thoughts are it's VERY slow, which is okay but the passing is lacking. Every pass seems to be played through treacle, there's no zip or lightspeed passing which is quite annoying. No matter how long you hold pass or through ball, they're dog slow.

Reactions also seem about half a second too late, I was playing, took a shot which the keeper saved but the ball fell to Coutinho and before he even started to move towards the ball the defence had cleared it, all in the space of a two second window.

It does feel similar to 2017 and there are still bugs which've plagued the series since day one (players inexplicably turning away from the most reasonable pass only for the ball to run out for a throw in).

Disappointingly I haven't noticed any changes for the better so far, only that the PC version this year gets parity with consoles.

The demo's a 4GB download on Xbox One and there are a number of teams included: Liverpool, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Inter to name a few.

What do you think?

Caporegime
I've played about 15 matches, the biggest issue for me is the shooting, it doesn't feel rewarding to score, the goalkeepers don't seem to save much even on the higher difficulties. Shooting from inside the box is a single button tap, and in my experience results in a goal 9/10 times. The game doesn't require you to make sure you're on your strong foot, or positioned correctly, or that you've chosen an appropriate amount of power, just tapping the button results in a goal most of the time. Shooting from outside of the box feels weird, the ball is filled with helium, it hangs in the air for an unnatural amount of time and shots don't seem to have any real force or power behind them.

The dribbling and sprinting animations seem a bit off to me as well, it's strange because in the trailers the game looks absolutely amazing, incredibly realistic and lifelike but during the demo it didn't feel that way to me at all. Dribbling and running at the defenders feels so clunky and almost counter intuitive, even with the better players such as Messi it doesn't feel great.

The presentation needs some serious work too, I know this is just the demo and probably not fully indicative of the final product but my God. Considering they only have a small selection of fully licensed teams you'd think they'd put a lot of effort into really reproducing those teams. Playing as Liverpool the crowd just sounds flat and dull, most of the game is spent with them making a noise that sounds like a bit like a vacuum cleaner. Dortmund are the same, supposedly one of the best atmospheres in European football but playing with them at the Westfalenstadion sounds exactly the same as playing with two of the Brazilian league teams, it's awful.

The menus once again look like something from the PS2, they've changed the colours, that's about it. It took me a good while to figure out I couldn't even change formations in the demo, there are so many menus and submenus that are completely unnecessary, they need to have a good look at it and make it more streamlined for sure.

There's a good game in there somewhere but there are so many issues they need to look at before I'd even consider buying it.

Soldato
Thinking of buying this but want to know when playing online does it match up teams with the star rating? I hated the way you can play as 3 star team and see real Madrid on pes 2016....

Back
Top Bottom