problem installing any firewall

Soldato
hey!

Recently just got the internet back up and running after 2 months. As usual ive been bombarded with about 11 viruses and im using AVG. Its handling the viruses alrite but i would like to stop the constant stream of bugs etc infecting my pc.

Ive tried installing zone alarm, outpost firewall and also tried using the windows firewall but none work. The windows one just comes up with a error saying "error 1068: the dependancy service or group failed to start". And the others install but just wont work. Ill click on the shortcuts to them but they just wont start up.
No doubt this occours because of the viruses but is there anything else i can do?

cheers

Associate
I think the windows firewall needs the workstation service to run try, Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and check the status of the Workstation service at the bottom of the list? If it says "Disabled" or "Manual", double-click it and set its startup parameters to Automatic.

Soldato
OP
Its already set to automatic but it still isnt working. Just tried installing kaspersky firewall and that wont start up either. They just dont want to start up for some reason :mad:

EDIT: spoke too soon! Now my pc is just going nuts. Its slowed down really bad, jerkys a lot and all the sound effects and music go in slow mo and sound really echoey. Even typing takes 30 seconds to show up on screen! HELP!

Last edited:
Soldato
It could well be that AVG did not get rid of all the viruses on the system. AVG is not the best (in my experience).

Try an online scanner, or download the trial of a different antivirus such as Kaspersky.

I would also check thru your services and MS config startup., also run ad aware and spybot.

Back
Top Bottom