Problem since installing ne GPU..

Associate
Hi guys and girls,

So the other day i installed a new graphics card (gtx 980 to replace my ancient 7970)
Basically, i used the 'AMD clean uninstall utility' to remove all my drivers for that card (not sure if maybe it removed other drivers too?)

Once the new card was in, i first booted up to just a black screen, all lights and fans were on as they usually would be and power was going to the monitor yet nothing else. so i took the card out, put it in a different pcie slot, and it now works however, the new problem i have is, pretty much every time i boot the machine up it'll go to a black screen and read,

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

anyone got an ideas as to what the problem is? once i manually turn it off as it has no option of shutting the pc down or doing anything for that matter is usually boots ok the second time.

Might be worth mentioning, before i done all this, when i boot my pc it used to come up with the ROG gaming screen where you can access the bios but now thats gone and i'm left with american megatrends? any ideas? i'll be honest i'm not great with computers so i have no idea what i've done.

motherboard is a ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ROG ATX by the way.

Thanks everyone.

Associate
OP
I've read that it's probably best to do an OS reinstall when changing GPU manufacturers, might be worth a shot if you're still having difficulties.

Cheers for the reply..

Oh really? hmm.. i don't even know if that's something i could do as OcUk built my pc, i didnt get a windows disc is it possible to reinstall without one? i'm not sure how this kind of thing works lol.

Soldato
Cheers for the reply..

Oh really? hmm.. i don't even know if that's something i could do as OcUk built my pc, i didnt get a windows disc is it possible to reinstall without one? i'm not sure how this kind of thing works lol.

OCUK should have provided you with a Windows key I would have thought; I know you can download Windows and install from a USB stick, but you need that key.

Associate
OP
OCUK should have provided you with a Windows key I would have thought; I know you can download Windows and install from a USB stick, but you need that key.

They probably did, but it was 4 years ago now so god knows where it is lol!

i'll give the program you mentioned a try and see what happens :)

Associate
OP
Also make sure your PSU is up to powering that 980, you need a quality PSU of at least 500W for it.

yeah i have a seasonic 850w psu so cant see that being an issue. find it really odd how i no longer have the rog gaming display when i boot up and now have american megatrends, god knows what i've done!

Associate
OP
I would guess that's a setting within the BIOS that you can change.

I've known BIOS settings to alter for whatever reason, albeit rarely, so wouldn't be a such a surprise to me.

This is exactly why i don't touch my computer lol, always screw something up somehow..

Thanks for the help :)

Soldato
Update your BIOS to the most recent, and do a reset of it.

The ROG splash screen is just that, something has happened in your BIOS by the sounds of it where you have lost your boot drive options among other settings

Actually, before setting anything, try replacing your BIOS battery. It's probably a CR2032.

Associate
OP
Update your BIOS to the most recent, and do a reset of it.

The ROG splash screen is just that, something has happened in your BIOS by the sounds of it where you have lost your boot drive options among other settings

Actually, before setting anything, try replacing your BIOS battery. It's probably a CR2032.

Hi, i've actually already tried taking the bios battery out and replacing it, didn't make any difference unfortunately.

How do i update my BIOS? i've never done that before.

thanks.

Soldato
Find your motherboard on the Asus support website and download the most up to date BIOS, It will probably be a .CAP file once you have unzipped it. Put it on a USB stick (more modern boards let you browse the disks) and the enter the bios if you can (furiously hit DEL or F2 the second your keyboard becomes active) and then there should be an option to flash your BIOS. choose this option and browse to the USB Stick which should be showing up and point it to the .CAP file and the board will do the rest.

Associate
OP
Find your motherboard on the Asus support website and download the most up to date BIOS, It will probably be a .CAP file once you have unzipped it. Put it on a USB stick (more modern boards let you browse the disks) and the enter the bios if you can (furiously hit DEL or F2 the second your keyboard becomes active) and then there should be an option to flash your BIOS. choose this option and browse to the USB Stick which should be showing up and point it to the .CAP file and the board will do the rest.

Excellent, i'll give that a go this evening.

if you're using Win10, after the flash, choose windows boot loader as the 1st boot device, save and exit (usually f10)

i'm still running win7 at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom