Problem with Car, Advice Needed.

Soldato
Ok first a little background on the car, a bit of a lengthy post, sorry.

I bought my P reg VW Polo from a used car dealer 2 months ago. At the time of purchase everything was fine with the car except it needed at least a new windscreen to get through it's MOT. So, they put the car through it's MOT, replaced the screen and apparently it needed a new wishbone and a tyre too. It passed after the work was done on it and so I picked the car up on the 24th Feb.

The day I picked it up there was a rattle coming from the exhaust, which was not there when we test drove it before it's MOT. Took the car back 2 days later, left it with them for the day and they fixed the rattle (loose bracket) and valeted it. They promised me the valet anyway as I bought it when it was dirty.

Moving on from there, after about 2 weeks of having the car the battery kept dying on me, jump starting would get me going but the battery would not hold it's charge for long, I was told by you folks on here the battery was shagged and to buy a new one. I did and it cost me £40, not had the same problem since. Finally I thought, I can enjoy my first car.......Wrong!

Last week, I went for a long drive (long for me) and did about 50 miles for no other reason than it was a nice day. I noticed on the A50 that the car pulled wildly to the left if I let go of the steering wheel. Now, I'm sure most of you would have noticed this a lot sooner, but being a new driver I'm not yet in the habit of driving with no hands, :p

Thinking this was a bit odd I checked the wheels when I got home. Bare in mind that I normally park with the front end facing a curb > wall and never looked at the car head on. I was quite shocked to find the front wheels looked like this: /-----\ Ok, not as bad as that but you get the idea.

I then looked at the the 2 front tires. They are both BOLD on the inside in exactly the same place and in the same state, the tread is worn from the inside edge to about 1½" toward the centre. Remember, one of these tyres is brand new. I have only done about 200 miles in the car since owning it, and I've never driven like a idiot and done wheelspins etc, I'm too old for that malarkey.

My question is, what can I do about it, in terms of taking it back to the dealer and demanding they put it right and put 2 new tires on? I don't see why I should fork out for someone elses mistake. What would you do here, and do I have a leg to stand on?

Soldato
Could just be the tracking is massively out, or the wheels need balancing. its normal for a car to have camber on the wheels, but if its very noticeable something could be up with the suspension?

Suspended
go to your local ATS or tyre place and ask them to look at the problem, ask them for a quote to fix it and then go back to the garage you originally got it from. See if they will fix it properly or pay for the work to be done elsewhere.

Youve either got yourself a bad car, or more likely, a bad dealer.

Soldato
OP
Chris1712 said:
Could just be the tracking is massively out, or the wheels need balancing. its normal for a car to have camber on the wheels, but if its very noticeable something could be up with the suspension?

I understand that, but surely to make the tyres bold after 200 miles there is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom