Problem With Cheap 2-In-1

Associate
Hey guys! (TL;DR - Watch video to see problem)

I wonder if anyone might have any ideas as to what is going on with a relatives computer. My Mums partner bought himself a 2-in-1 Windows tablet around Christmas, from one of those Chinese websites. He's been using it lightly for the past few months but this week he ran into a problem.

Now, when he starts the computer up, it will often display the brand on screen (For example, ASUS) but then the screen will go black before flashing and glitching. It will sometimes flash and glitch for a few minutes before going black again. After that, if he presses any key or uses the touchpad, the normal Windows login screen appears and he can use the computer normally. Sometimes, the computer will seemingly flash and glitch until it is turned off. Then when turned on again, it will work normally (the brand will appear, the screen will go black and then the Windows login screen will appear, with no glitching in between).

I've borrowed the computer for a few days. So far, I've tried reinstalling Windows, updating Windows (as much as it will let me) and checking to see if all drivers are up to date. Nothing has solved this problem. Part of me thinks the issue is hardware related (bad processor/GPU or bad capacitors). I say this for a few reasons. One reason is because resetting the software doesn't fix the issue. The other reason is because I've seen issues like this before in failing monitors/TV's with bad capacitors. When you turn them on, they don't work for a while but once everything warms up, they start working until you turn them off for a while.

The computer specs are as follows:

Device Name: ALLDOCUBE KNoteGo
Processor: Intel Celeron N3350 1.10GHz (2-Core-2-Thread)
RAM: 4GB
Storage: 64GB
GPU: 128MB Intel HD Graphics 500 (Onboard)

Fortunately for my Mums partner, he didn't pay much for this absolute beast of a machine. Only around £150. I've advised him not to buy some things from China due to difficulties in having them replaced/repaired when things go wrong. I've contacted the company that makes these but I don't expect much in the way of a response. You get what you pay for in the end I suppose. To illustrate the issue, I've managed to make a short video of the issue in action. If you have two minutes to spare, please watch the whole video. Thanks for your time!

Back
Top Bottom