Problem with old MBP

Soldato
I've got a 2012 i7 MBP here and it won't boot. It chimes, Apple logo show, progress bar gets half way then it reboots and just loops like that.

I can't boot into Safe Mode.
I can boot holding Option-S for single user mode and run fsck. Reports the boot volume 'appears to be OK'.
I can boot holding D to run the Apple Hardware Test and everything seems fine.
I can enter Startup Manager (holding Option) and select a USB stick with OSX install on, but attempts to boot from this result in the progress bar followed by a frozen white screen.
I can use Shift-Option-Command-R to start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet, after entering WiFi details, back to a frozen white screen.
Booting with Command-V for verbose mode doesn't suggest anything obvious...

Any ideas?

Soldato
OP
That was my first thought, but fsck checks out and the Apple Hardware Test doesn't find anything wrong.
In single user mode I can navigate the whole file system.

Caporegime
I don't think AHT does extensive tests on the hard drive, a full test on a 1tb drive would take about 2.5 hours.

If you have a spare 2.5" drive just throw that in and see if it behaves any differently.

Associate
run ASD EFI 3S150 to check for sensor problem. can be found on google search. you need a usb drive to burn the image.

try disconnect the trackpad flex, wifi flex and superdrive flex to see if the problem still exists..

Back
Top Bottom