Problem with voice clarity since moving to surrround setup.

Soldato
Hello

Yes I'm back with another question (I'm so sorry!). :D

Last night I sat down to watch the latest Jurrasic Park film on Netflix. Unfortunately it turned into more time spent fiddling than actually watching the film; so I'm going to have to watch it again. This was the first time I've used Netflix since going to my 4.0 setup. So far regular TV and 4K DVD's have been great. The amp is a Denon AVR-X2400H. Front floorstanding speakers are Triangle Borea BR08. Sides are Cambridge Audio MINX M22. No sub and no centre speaker.

Amp was on "Auto" mode and set itself to DD+ with Dolby Surround. Smashing. I also tried DD+ with Nerual:X just to compare.

The voices were quiet when using any surround sound. The film in Netflix was set to stream in English 5.1. If I changed Netflix to be English "other" (I think that is what the alternate is called)... I'm assuming that is there option for English Stereo, the voice clarity was louder. But obviously only using the front speakers. Alternatively, if I left it set to English 5.1 but changed the Amp to Stereo, I achieved the same result. Voices were clearer.

Whilst the film was running I used the Denon app on my phone to try various things. Various levels of Dynamic EQ / Dynamic Volime, enabling/disabling Loudness Managnemt, and so forth. Nothing made any noticeable difference. My volume for when watching TV is -35db. For the film last night I had to go to -20db and I couldn't really go further as music / action / other sounds were at a nice level. If I went higher with the voulme these would be too uncomfortable for me.

Would adding a centre speaker be the key to the issue here? The missing piece?

Thanks.

Don
Would adding a centre speaker be the key to the issue here? The missing piece?
Short answer yes - the centre channel is predominately used for voice, and if it's missing then the Amp will do it's best to distribute it via the other channels as appropriate. However by doing so you can't then individually tweak the center channel and any features specifically for boosting dialogue will generally only work with a centre channel.

If I changed Netflix to be English "other" (I think that is what the alternate is called)... I'm assuming that is there option for English Stereo, the voice clarity was louder. But obviously only using the front speakers. Alternatively, if I left it set to English 5.1 but changed the Amp to Stereo, I achieved the same result. Voices were clearer.

You could try the english other option on Netflix (to force 2.0 output from netflix), but then have your amp set to Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround (or equivalent) to upmix the stereo source to all 4 speakers.

Soldato
OP
Short answer yes - the centre channel is predominately used for voice, and if it's missing then the Amp will do it's best to distribute it via the other channels as appropriate. However by doing so you can't then individually tweak the center channel and any features specifically for boosting dialogue will generally only work with a centre channel.

You could try the english other option on Netflix (to force 2.0 output from netflix), but then have your amp set to Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround (or equivalent) to upmix the stereo source to all 4 speakers.
Cheers for this.

Yeah I don't have any centre channel options available to me so I agree, I think putting in a centre will help. Thought I best ask before going and buying another speaker. I don't have much room for a centre so I was just going to use another Minx M22. If it is mainly for voice I think it'll perform alright. Cheap enough I suppose at £99 excl speaker cable.

I did try the 2.0 from Netflix coupled with surround sound on the amp - sorry I did not mention that bit earlier - and it didn't upmix! I had nothing out of the side speakers. :confused:

Soldato
Cheers for this.

Yeah I don't have any centre channel options available to me so I agree, I think putting in a centre will help. Thought I best ask before going and buying another speaker. I don't have much room for a centre so I was just going to use another Minx M22. If it is mainly for voice I think it'll perform alright. Cheap enough I suppose at £99 excl speaker cable.

I did try the 2.0 from Netflix coupled with surround sound on the amp - sorry I did not mention that bit earlier - and it didn't upmix! I had nothing out of the side speakers. :confused:

Don't even bother! Get the matching Triangle center

Minx is such a poor speaker and downgrade over using your Triangle in phantom center mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Don't even bother! Get the matching Triangle center

Minx is such a poor speaker and downgrade over using your Triangle in phantom center mode.
Aye sadly I don't have the room at the moment to fit something 27cm deep. I am hopefully looking to have a room reshuffle so perhaps at that point I can do this. If the Minx M22 can fill a gap until then, I don't mind. And if I only get a little use from it in the meantime, I don't mind having spent just £99. I'll see how it goes (crosses fingers). I'd rather, as you know, spend the extra cash on the matching sub (Tales 340) in light oak which should according to tech specs get down to 30Hz and fill that bass gap. That is £420 though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bet you'll notice sound quality loss. Yes you may have dedicated center but minx and tower way different
Hmm I've measured some stuff and could rejig on existing unit. Put the amp on bottom shelf and a centre above. I can't fit that Borea centre in at all, it is too big. But what do you think instead of the Minx to this one:

Soldato
Hmm I've measured some stuff and could rejig on existing unit. Put the amp on bottom shelf and a centre above. I can't fit that Borea centre in at all, it is too big. But what do you think instead of the Minx to this one:

You want matching LCR. That is the most important matching those speakers.

Go for the Triangle.

Soldato
OP
You want matching LCR. That is the most important matching those speakers.

Go for the Triangle.
OK thanks. I could... So sorry for my ramblings... Fit the triangle centre under the tv. So stand the tv on top. The base of the LG C3 is near on identical size so would be perfect. Would that be OK? The tv weighs just 16kg and the cabinets are of solid construction.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just arrived. So pleased with how it looks. Can't wait to set it up and configure it tonight.

Triangle-Centre.jpg

Back
Top Bottom