problems logging in to secure shell on smoothwall box.

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm having problems accessing my shell connection on the cgi pages for remote admin of my smoothie bix.

The SSH serve ris starte but all I get in the shell window on the admin pages is the red cross in the white bachground.

Any Ideas? I'm using .99SE, fully patched with a default install

HT

Soldato
OP
I don't have a linux box but PuTTY gives me a Network Error:connection refused error.

edit the SSH server is running according to the status page.

Nice tool that PuTTy thing shak :D

I'll keep playing with it, perhaps it's time to dig out those red hat CDs

HT

Last edited:
Permabanned
Looks like a b0rked SSH server, you sure that is running properly? I guess it would be a good idea to reboot the box and then try and re-connect, that should re-start the SSH server and therefore see if that solves it.

Shak

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm

possibly mate, the ssh server does not run by default or start at boot time. I enable it from one admi page before trying the SSH session page (or that groovy windows client). I am loath to try a reboot as it's been up for 5 weeks now but I guess it deserves it.

At least I can log in via the admin pages now and don't have to climb under my desk to gently reboot it.

Cheers for your help, I'll let you know.

HT

Permabanned
Maybe try and restart the SSH server from the admin interface, there is definitely a problem there as that is the error that I get when I have forgotten to start the SSH server on a machine :)

Shak

Ben

Ben

Associate
SSHd runs on port 222 on a Smoothie.

In putty just select the SSH protocol and add a 2 onto the port # :)

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

Yep, I was going to say the same thing :)

You can also login to ssh via the webby, it has some java applet thingie or whatever :p

Soldato
OP
Sorted now, cheers guys,

I needed to re-install the java jre on my winXP box I was trying to connect with :)

Typical that the only problem I have on my smoothie is with windows.

HT

Back
Top Bottom