Problems With BT ADSL Connection

Associate
Hi All

Wonder if anyone in the know can have a look at my ADSL Stat's and let me know if there is anything obvious wrong -

----------------------------------------------------
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,024

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 62.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 10.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,490

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2
----------------------------------------------------

The reason i ask is that i am having terrible trouble with the connection since being installed, i live 2.23km away from the exchange, but my connection is all over the place, numerous calls to BT dont seem to be resolving the issue.

Im currently waiting for 2 months subscription to be refunded, im on my 2nd BT-HomeHub and i have a new replacement Voyager Wireless Router being sent out to replace the BT-HomeHub just incase its that which is causing the issue.

Connection appeared to be maxed at downloading at 50kbps (not a single kbps more) even though my BT-HomeHub was showing a Connection of 1.7mb download link, this is on a Desktop & Laptop, both running Windows XP (SP2).

Other times it will let me download at around 150kbps and then reboot the router, as if it overheated or something, then it will drop my speed down to a reported 780kbps or if im lucky just over 1mb.

Will things be different with a new replacement Voyager ADSL Router that BT are sending me to replace the BT-HomeHub or is this a line fault ?

If any further info is needed, please let me know as im pulling hair out with this ADSL link.....

Edit - The Router is plugged into the 'test' socket behind the BT Front Plate on the main box on the wall.

Last edited:
Hi

your downstream line attenuation is very high and this will be a big issue. The SN level is OK though.

Have you check the stats with the router connected to the test port inside your BT master socket as this will by pass all your internal wiring ?

Thanks for the reply :-)

It is connected directly to the special socket behind the front plate on the master box, BT asked me to do this a week ago, i now have a BT Voyager 2091 which seems stable, but there is another problem.

I ran a speedtest yesterday which showed that my IP Profile is capped at 512k, when i called BT about it yesterday afternoon the lady i spoke to in Tech Support said that there is nothing she can do about it until the existing line fault has been complete, she says that my case was passed to Wholesale and i should know the results in 7 days.

BT said that i should be on a 2mb profile as thats what it says i should have and what the line is supposed to support.

This is the result i get -

-------------------------------------------
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2144 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 461 kbps
-------------------------------------------

I suppose there is something wrong on the line or at the exchange, do you think ?

HomerJ said:
Hi

your downstream line attenuation is very high and this will be a big issue. The SN level is OK though.

Have you check the stats with the router connected to the test port inside your BT master socket as this will by pass all your internal wiring ?

Back
Top Bottom