Problems with Ryzen 1800x OC

Associate
Hey Guys,

my specs are
Mainboard: MSI B350 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 1800x
RAM: DDR4 Venegance running @3066mhz (stable and tested)
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH15 SE for AM4
GTX 980TI
Cougar 700 Watt PS

Now im trying to OC the Ryzen to the limits, but i cant get over 3,92/3,95 GHZ. I can boot on 4.0 or 4.1 GHZ, but on Prime Test my Computer freezes. I try any different kind of volltage, just for --TEST!-- i try also 1.5 Volt.

What do i wrong?
Did i miss something ?

Or just a loose on some thing like silicon lottery ?

Greets from Germany

Soldato
Hey Guys,

my specs are
Mainboard: MSI B350 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 1800x
RAM: DDR4 Venegance running @3066mhz (stable and tested)
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH15 SE for AM4
GTX 980TI
Cougar 700 Watt PS

Now im trying to OC the Ryzen to the limits, but i cant get over 3,92/3,95 GHZ. I can boot on 4.0 or 4.1 GHZ, but on Prime Test my Computer freezes. I try any different kind of volltage, just for --TEST!-- i try also 1.5 Volt.

What do i wrong?
Did i miss something ?

Or just a loose on some thing like silicon lottery ?

Greets from Germany

Drop your ram to 2666mhz whilst trying to get your CPU to its max clock, it may not be the CPU causing the freezing, it could be the memory controller, also make sure you CPU NB/SoC voltage is set to 1.100v.

As already stated, 1.5v is way to much, you'll damage or even fry your CPU, 1.425v max.

When you find your max CPU clock, start slowly bringing your ram speed back up. the fact you are running it at 3066mhz makes me think you've already got certain parts of your CPU struggling, your either overclocking 3000mhz ram, or you've had to downclock 3200mhz ram, CPU to RAM dividers make a difference too, some the CPU like, others it doesn't, you can verify the divider with CPU--z in the memory tab, for instance mine is at 1:16 which my CPU seems to like the best, theres no way to adjust this in the bios, its just based on your CPU speed vs your RAM speed.

Associate
OP
The 1.5V was just for testing if the problems cause bcs of too low voltage.

I set everything like u said, but getting again a freeze.
I run Prime for like 10 min and then comes the freeze.

Have some other ideas how i can break the 4 ghz ?

Soldato
The 1.5V was just for testing if the problems cause bcs of too low voltage.

I set everything like u said, but getting again a freeze.
I run Prime for like 10 min and then comes the freeze.

Have some other ideas how i can break the 4 ghz ?

No sorry, I guess you just hit your wall with the overclock, I found the same thing with my first RyZen 1700, it went to 3.90ghz with 1.385v and no matter what voltage I put through it all the way upto 1.45v it just wouldn't give me anything else at all.

Associate
Dont worry we all hit a wall sooner then expected sometimes ... Had my 2700 stable since release at clocks and then bfv beta proved to be to much and no amount of voltage or tweaking will keep at previous stable so time to go down to 4ghz

Back
Top Bottom