Product, date and price of your 1st Amazon order?

Soldato
/\/\/\ Rakuten bought the play.com website some years ago. It was never the same after that happened. I bought many a DVD from that site in my early years of online shopping.

Play only sold out to Rakuten when the government closed the Channel Islands tax loophole that allowed them to charge significantly lower prices (which the likes of Amazon then had to match). Everyone and his granny seemed to be opening a shipping warehouse in the Channel Islands to take advantage of the tax loophole. After that loophole was closed, the Play business model became unsustainable, and Rakuten bought it and rebranded it to a marketplace.

Associate
I should ask for a refund.

IMG-20200417-205729.jpg

Soldato
Did Amazon just sell books back in the day?

Not at that time it was more of a novelty as I recall. "Order stuff via the web! Thats a new one must try it!"

Actually I didn't use them much then as they were expensive there were cheaper deals elsewhere. Come to think of it i don't use it much these days either they've pushing to get mass Prime takeup and pushing out customers that aren't interested I just ordered a bulky item from Asda of all places because it was 25% cheaper than Amazon.

For those who first ordered in 2001, it's scary to think that it was only a few months before or after 9/11.

Does anyone remember jungle.co.uk? We're talking pre-OcUK era, around 1999. They sold some of the earliest MP3 players and other electronics, in particular, computer parts. They were kinda like mid 2000s-stage Amazon where they expanded from being a book shop. Argos eventually acquired Jungle and it was never the same after that. If you type jungle.co.uk in a web browser now, it redirects to argos.co.uk

Soldato
I'm actually surprised at this as I thought I bought this book much later. Reminiscences of a stock operator., 10th November 2002. Wasn't actually as good as I had heard it was.
I wish I had bought £10k of Amazon stock at the time too :). Lets do the maths. $24 on 1st Nov 2002 to nearly $2400 today, that'd be worth about £1million now :). Not long before 2002, after the Y2K crash, it was $7 too.
Definitely bought a lot more stuff from Amazon in recent years, looking through my history. Even stuff like sheers and lawnmower :). After buying my first item in 2002 from Amazon, it was another 4 years before I purchased anything else.

Last edited:
Soldato
Play only sold out to Rakuten when the government closed the Channel Islands tax loophole that allowed them to charge significantly lower prices (which the likes of Amazon then had to match). Everyone and his granny seemed to be opening a shipping warehouse in the Channel Islands to take advantage of the tax loophole. After that loophole was closed, the Play business model became unsustainable, and Rakuten bought it and rebranded it to a marketplace.

I forgot about that. There some online firms still trading out of of Jersey & Guernsey though.

Soldato
I forgot about that. There some online firms still trading out of of Jersey & Guernsey though.

Yes, but they don't get that same tax advantage when exporting out of the Channel Islands. It was getting silly, with the likes of Tesco opening warehouses out there to gain advantage, but for a few years, Play.com was the place to buy stuff, and everyone had to price lower to match them. When Play effectively closed down and sold out, it was noticeable how prices rose all across competing businesses.

Associate
PlayStation 2 Console (New Smaller Model)
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£97.99

Sonic Mega Collection (PS2) - With Free Sega T-shirt, Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£24.99

Purchased 14 April 2005

Most stuff before that was bought at game/play.com etc as they were cheaper.
and some stuff at the supermarket I worked at at the time as we had discount.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom