Programming for kids

Soldato
You could try this for some basic Java, it's a 3D game where you code your spells in game. I haven't tried it however I remember reading about it and it sounded interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Soldato
Part of my first OU course we used scratch to teach basic principles of programming. I have a text book/binder full of activities for it that help teach the stuff you can do in it. Also have a Sense board which looks a bit like a Pi but has a mic/buttons/leds/light/sound/temp and motion sensors and probably something I am forgetting. If interested I could pass these on to you as they have sat in my cupboard for a while now and I am unlikely to use any of it again.

Also if you use Gamemaker the game makers apprentice is pretty good guide for getting started.

Soldato
Part of my first OU course we used scratch to teach basic principles of it. I have a text book/binder full of activities for it that help teach the stuff you can do in it. Also have a Sense board which looks a bit like a Pi but has a mic/buttons/leds/light/sound/temp and motion sensors and probably something I am forgetting. If interested I could pass these on to you as they have sat in my cupboard for a while now and I am unlikely to use any of it again.

Also if you use Gamemaker the game makers apprentice is pretty good guide for getting started.

TU100? I am on that now! Just my EMA and I am done with it.

Soldato
Yup TU100. Finished it last Sept/Oct I think it was and have almost finished MU123, enrolled on Java for Oct :)
Sorry for going o/t but how did you find it Woden? Wasn't to bad liked some, hated other bits but ended up doing surprisingly well in the EMA and not sure how :D

Soldato
Yup TU100. Finished it last Sept/Oct I think it was and have almost finished MU123, enrolled on Java for Oct :)
Sorry for going o/t but how did you find it Woden? Wasn't to bad liked some, hated other bits but ended up doing surprisingly well in the EMA and not sure how :D

Hit and miss to be honest. A lot of it I already know, being a nerd, and I have already dabbled in C++ so the sense stuff is easy but fun. Some of it is completely off topic and the iCMAs are so easy they are pointless, passed one drunk with 76!

Start a maths module in september/october. This I sorely need and will get a lot more out of. Can't remember a thing from my A-Level lol.

Soldato
Hadn't done any programming prior so it took me a while to get my head around it but I managed to do it all okay in the end. Yeah the iCMAs are a bit of a joke the maths one they don't allow you to keep retrying you get one shot. What maths module are you doing? I didn't even pass GCSE in school, hated maths and found this really frustrating at times but scores have all been decent so can't complain.

Back
Top Bottom