Programs you used to use regularly which are now obsolete?

Soldato
This thread certainly brought back memories of lots of software I'd forgotten all about, but used to use regularly - Nero, Daemon, ICQ (and Trillian), Gamespy ("let's get on with the killing")...

I also used to use emule quite regularly. I think it's still around, but I've not used it for years now.

Not really a program in its own right, but definitely something that was part and parcel of my PC use that I haven't even given a thought to for ages: codec packs (K-lite, X Codec, etc.). I remember always having to download different codecs to get different files to play, having to set them up properly, having conflicts with one codec pack with another. I haven't even searched for codecs for a long while as the few media players I used bascially just play everything.

There's one program which is now obsolete that I miss and would use if it still updated - Karen's Replicator. The developer died a while ago and eventually the old version just stopped working after one Windows update or another. Still my favourite tool for file syncing - lightweight, simple, easily customisable, efficient and free. Freefilesync is a pretty good substitute, but not as simple or flexible.

Soldato
anyone remember mplayer
or roger wilco
?

Yes to both.

RW was the first voice comms program I used, I think.

And mplayer was one of many media players I used in the late 90s-mid 2000s. I seemed to be changing media player every few months, always fiddling with codecs with different ones. It was a right faff. Then of course vlc came along and I've not done any of that since.

Pidgeon Messenger

I still use that every day. I had it running an MSN window even after Microsoft announced that they were going to pull the plug on it back in 2013. Then it was just a matter of time on when MSN would stop. We got another 18 months out of it in the end when it finally stopped in November 2014. Since then, we have carried on using Pidgeon but on the Jabber (Google Mail) chat service.

I still use Office '97 on my main PC. Still does the job on Win 8.1 :p I liked all of the Offices tbh up to 2003. Though have been using 2007+ on work machines since 2007 but 10 years on and I still can't get my head around that damn ribbon :mad:

Paintshop Pro 7. Still works on Win 8.1... was the last decent version of PSP imo.

Obsolete:

MSN Gaming Zone ftw
Micrografx Draw
Soundforge
QBASIC
Internet Explorer... all versions :p
Edge :p
Silverlight :p
Warcraft I and II... oldies but goldies

Soldato
Startup Control Panel, was made by this very clever chap: http://www.mlin.net/

Use to be great with Windows 95 etc. Functionality is essentially built into windows these days though. didn't need to be installed and was less than 100Kb from what I remember.

Associate
Allseeing eye - would track friends in online games, allow you to see how they were doing and let you join their server they're playing on. Think Yahoo bought it and it died.

Permabanned
You guys don't use Winamp anymore...? Why not? It's great :o

Winamp is ok. I guess it isn't so much obsolete but people consider it somehow old-fashioned. Winamp doesn't receive updates anymore. It's working but stuck with a version 666...
I am using it, it's very good indeed and I can't rely on YouTube alone.

Soldato
Yes to both.

RW was the first voice comms program I used, I think.

And mplayer was one of many media players I used in the late 90s-mid 2000s. I seemed to be changing media player every few months, always fiddling with codecs with different ones. It was a right faff. Then of course vlc came along and I've not done any of that since.

no this mplayer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer.com

Back
Top Bottom