Progressing with studying & learning JavaScript

Associate
So I've graduated in July and recently had an interview, but regret I didn't carry on learning and keeping up to date with it all.

It was for a software engineer trainee role but I wish I could have demonstrated my skills more. Need to have that extra push so I bought the course https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-javascript-course/

Anyone have any advice after graduating from computer science and what to do in the spare time? Such as projects to work on and stay up to date for employers etc

Soldato
If you are going to get into web development then I highly recommend you install Firefox Developer Edition. It has some really useful tools for dealing with JavaScript as well as HTML and CSS.

You might also want to consider languages that can be converted into JavaScript such as CoffeeScript or TypeScript as they are nicer languages to use and don't have some of the problems of JavaScript but you can convert them into pure JavaScript which runs in just about any web browser so it is a bit of a win / win.

As for learning JavaScript itself the Mozilla Developer Network has some nice documentation you might want to read when it comes to APIs.

This would be a good place to start:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript

Associate
OP
If you are going to get into web development then I highly recommend you install Firefox Developer Edition. It has some really useful tools for dealing with JavaScript as well as HTML and CSS.

You might also want to consider languages that can be converted into JavaScript such as CoffeeScript or TypeScript as they are nicer languages to use and don't have some of the problems of JavaScript but you can convert them into pure JavaScript which runs in just about any web browser so it is a bit of a win / win.

As for learning JavaScript itself the Mozilla Developer Network has some nice documentation you might want to read when it comes to APIs.

This would be a good place to start:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript
Thanks, will look into it :) I just want to be more prepared for a trainee position so I can answer any questions confidently :/

Associate
I'm not entirely sure. Im okay with web design and enjoy it. So want to improve on that and learn JS since it's in demand. But also practice java, but since I've graduated, I'm not sure where to start to get to a employable level.

If you've graduated with a good, relevant degree then you are already pretty employable. Employees will know that a graduate doesn't have the skills they need right now, but you should be able to demonstrate your knowledge of fundamentals and ability to learn so that they can see that you'll be able to adapt to the professional environment.

It's always good to be learning and practicing things in your spare time, but I'd just start applying for graduate positions that look interesting to you and see what happens.

Associate
OP
If you've graduated with a good, relevant degree then you are already pretty employable. Employees will know that a graduate doesn't have the skills they need right now, but you should be able to demonstrate your knowledge of fundamentals and ability to learn so that they can see that you'll be able to adapt to the professional environment.

It's always good to be learning and practicing things in your spare time, but I'd just start applying for graduate positions that look interesting to you and see what happens.
I appreciate the reply :) I already know this, it's just, I haven't touched anything since July and don't feel confident at all with interviews if I get asked questions, so need to sink more in before I do so. Afraid I'll look stupid if I struggle to answer basic questions I should obviously remember! Also I have tourrets, making me have more uncontrollable tics under pressure and on the spot haha

Permabanned
They aren't judging your skill in the interview, they're judging your personality.
Go into the interview with a positive friendly attitude.
Smile, and calm down before you go in, convince yourself you're getting the job, believe it.
They already know your limits, be honest about your ability and show you'll stick around for career progression.

Soldato
Good luck but I don't envy you stepping into the real world for the first time. It's a pinnacle moment in anybodies life.

Man of Honour
I appreciate the reply :) I already know this, it's just, I haven't touched anything since July and don't feel confident at all with interviews if I get asked questions, so need to sink more in before I do so. Afraid I'll look stupid if I struggle to answer basic questions I should obviously remember! Also I have tourrets, making me have more uncontrollable tics under pressure and on the spot haha
When I worked for Citi I volunteered to help with the graduate recruitment programme. I assume most large companies work a similar way. There was an online test as part of the application. People who got through that went on to have an interview with people like me. I was far more interested in you as a person than passing technical questions (I'd assumed that to get past the technical test you knew enough). I'd be looking to understand what it was abotu It that you enjoyed, whether you stood out from other people in your enthusiasm or extra work you'd done (charity work, or even just extra jobs during your university time), whether you would fit into company, how strong your communication skills were and whether you had the "I'll try it even if I don't know the answer" attitude. I'm not sure whether my colleaues asked the same question but I always asked "I have one job. Why should I give it to you rather than the 10 other people sitting outside this door?". I actually had a few people answer "Because I've been to Oxford/Cambridge/Whatever" and that really wasn't the right answer. After at least two of us had interviewed each candidate we swapped notes and discussed evereyone.

For the people who made it through to the final round there was a day long workshop where they had to build an application in small teams. In the afternoon we then watched them complete a hypotheptical project management task, again in small teams, with a number of challenges and last minute problems and decisions thrown t them. What they didn't appreciate was that there wasn't a correct answer. We weren't watching what answers they gave; we were watching how they behaved as a group. We were looking for good team work, good leadership, etc. People who were quiet, easily led, or too assertive without reason were marked down.

I guess what I'm trying to explain is that while you do need to know your technical stuff, the interviews can sometimes be more about your personality and how you work with others. Good luck.

Associate
So very different from the last two responses but we certainly do look at technical ability at the interview stage and will try to assess your understanding in that area. Things that tend to impress are contributing to projects, or having a track record on stack-overflow. We've had grads that have contributed to online games, media players, you name it, but it gives a sense of three things : [1] that you actually like technology because you invest your own time in it, [2] you've probably got the basics of code management platforms and likely you've had something like code reviews [3] your a problem solver / and not a googler.

Soldato
Don't worry about your technical skills not being as strong as you like. To a certain extent, in a technical role, you will always be in this position, there is so much that you could learn and know. I would start applying for jobs and start getting interview experience. Developers are hard to find, so just do your learning, have enthusiasm, and start interviewing.

Associate
Two of the best books I have read regarding Javascript are

Eloquent Javascript by Marijn Haverbeke.
http://eloquentjavascript.net/
and
You Dont Know Javascript by Kyle Simpson
Both free to read online.

Maybe look at contributing to an Open Source project that you are interested in. This will ensure that you are keeping active while not working and will look great on the CV. A lot of projects need help with keeping Documentation up to date and relevant so this might be also be something to look at also.

Back
Top Bottom