Project 2610 sux

Associate
Only just joined the OcUK folding effort 3 days ago and am on my 4th 2610.
What is the issue with the 2610s over other WUs?

Man of Honour
Soldato
xgeek said:
What is the issue with the 2610s over other WUs?
FAH points are based on the amount of time it took a benchmark computer to complete it. The machine they're using to benchmark is a dual dual core (4-cores total) Xeon-equipped Mac Pro running OS X, Linux, and Windows XP. This 4-processor machine runs the 2610s at the same rate that it runs the rest of the WinSMP WUs but many others, including myself, see dismal performance from the WU on a dual core rig or a dual hyperthreaded proc rig.

Associate
OP
Been down the Linux route with VMware, total pain in the ass to setup, I'll stick with lower ppd (with the 2610) and no hassle and just have a rant every now and again.

Soldato
2bullish said:
Been down the Linux route with VMware, total pain in the ass to setup, I'll stick with lower ppd (with the 2610) and no hassle and just have a rant every now and again.

I agree with the 'tpita' to setup comment but it is actually worth the effort.
Check out the SMP guide thread for my problem install. That said if you what some sleep this week I total agree with sticking with WinSMP.

Soldato
shadowscotland said:
I agree with the 'tpita' to setup comment but it is actually worth the effort.
Check out the SMP guide thread for my problem install. That said if you what some sleep this week I total agree with sticking with WinSMP.
I had no problems at all setting up VMware and Ubuntu on this machine - however with only 1GB RAM it doesn't take much for the machine to start getting a bit iffy

That coupled with the fact I can get pretty much the same output with the GPU and a standard client (as either SMP) and much lower RAM usage wins it for me - if I had 2GB then I'd possibly go the VMware + Ubuntu route as it'd save some leccy

Soldato
rich99million said:
I had no problems at all setting up VMware and Ubuntu on this machine - however with only 1GB RAM it doesn't take much for the machine to start getting a bit iffy

Most of my problems were due to tiredness and not following instructions 'to the letter' to be honest. On the 8th install it went like a dream :D

Associate
DreederOcUK said:
Yus, Dual-Dual 2.66 Macpro with 4gb ram... running Windows XP.

<sigh> I need one of them... I'm currently trying to run 2 instances of EVE, transcoding a DVD to an AVI, and transcoding an AVI to a DVD as well! An AMD 3800x2 just isn't up to the task.

Soldato
Whats the deadline for a 2610? I have a machine which has been offline a while.

Completion time will be a couple of hours under 3 days.

Soldato
To check how you are doing vs. the deadline check a file called unitinfo.txt in your folding folder, and looks like this:

Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name: Protein
Tag: -
Download time: April 2 09:19:12
Due time: April 6 09:19:12
Progress: 77% [|||||||___]

It's the same file name for standard client, and linux SMP (so I'm guessing its on the mac version too)

Back
Top Bottom