Project Arcade

Soldato
im wondering weather to switch to a PC build instead of a raspberry pi. People keep telling me to switch to PC as the software is a lot more customisable, runs better and MAME is much more compatible.

Im not sure what to do, as the Raspberry Pi OS is very smooth, as more importantly, easy for Kids to Navigate.

Anyway, I went to the car boot sale undecided and scouted for a PC just in case. Im now the proud owner of a Core 2 duo pc with 4gb ram for £10! Didnt come with hard drive, but Sister had 2 broken laptops so i nabbed the hard drive out of them... also got a monitor for £5...what a day... so happy :)

I get a real satisfaction on making something usable again that people find junk.

One question about laptop screens....... it seems a waste to throw a working laptop screen away. I have no idea what this connection is but there must be some of of convertor to HDMI, DVI or VGA. whats the connection called and can i connect it to something else?

use the PC, its a higher spec than the pi (I have a core2duo running windows 10) , and easier if you don't know Linux etc. stick an old copy of windows xp on it this will be fine for mame

Last edited:
Associate
rsz_testbanner.jpg

Redoing post as apparently images were to big.

Building an arcade machine from a raspberry pi. No the above image is not mispelt. Building it for my nieces and nephews whos surname is Sharp. ** Removed **

** Removed **

So I got my parts a few weeks ago. I have the raspberry pi 2 board which is about £30. Got a 32gb memory card which should hold a nice about of games.

wp_20150905_20_50_31_pro.jpg

Buttons and Stick ordered from Ultracabs. Comes with a USB control board. Easily connects to the pi. Buttons also light up.

wp_20150905_20_54_55_pro.jpg

Wired it up... works well :D

wp_20150906_15_48_00_pro.jpg

wp_20150906_15_54_45_pro.jpg

Just a little tip for you regarding the joysticks. You may have already done this but I recommend you remove the green plastic gate piece from the bottom of the joysticks as it makes them feel a lot better. I think it is held on with two screws. Don't remove the second green piece that covers the metal though as it will wear the plastic down pretty quickly.

Associate
I should also mention, that usually the black circular disk on the joystick that covers the hole the shaft goes through (wink wink) has a rough bit underneath it. It is wise to file this down otherwise it may start scratching the paint work on you cabinet.

Permabanned
OP
So my perspex arrived...

i measured too big but i cant be bothered to recut as this project is taking over my life and house. its costing a little more than anticipated too because of the tools i needed.

wp_20151016_19_04_14_pro.jpg

wp_20151016_19_03_52_pro.jpg

i have no idea why this is rotated and displayed in this way... its not like that on my dropbox -_-

bezel sprayed on
wp_20151024_18_41_10_pro.jpg

control board
wp_20151025_00_23_16_pro.jpg

the bit at the back of that board wont be seen... the perspex for the screen will hit right after the perspex on the control board ends

Permabanned
OP
Back
Top Bottom