Project Bentley

JRS

JRS

Soldato
(alt. title - "I wish I was rich enough to own one of these....") :)

The back-story - last November, a very good friend of mine lost his marbles and bought a Bentley on eBay. I helped him fetch the bloody thing home, and since then I've been contributing to the work needed to fix it. And there's been some stuff to fix....

When he got it home, a quick appraisal showed the following bits wrong:

Drivers seat adjustment and memory (no manual override available either)
Drivers door mirror wouldn't adjust up or down
Drivers seat leather not in great nick
Various paint issues
Bit of rot in one sill
Engine idle speed completely wrong
Fuel mixture richer than a particularly rich thing
Cruise control not working
Headunit and speakers completely knackered
More than a few of the 6,926 relays in the electrical system knackered
Alarm/Immobiliser/remote central locking not working
Suspension issues
And probably a lot more stuff that I've forgotten about

This is what happens when you buy a 6 grand Bentley. You invariably end up with a lot of stuff not working, and what is working is generally a bodge job. Along with with a brilliant mechanic in Burton (who works on my mates other cars and my 'cento) we've spent the last year undoing the bodges, fixing other stuff properly, and generally making the car usable. Well, as usable as any +17ft long 6.75l V8 Bentley could possibly be.

We used the car for the wedding of a couple of friends in August, still with some issues to iron out but with the paintwork looking good and the oily bits working *almost* as they're supposed to. Since then we've been fixing the remaining bits. I picked the car up from him this morning to take it on an extended run to see if we'd got the last of the gremlins ironed out. So here goes with a short review of one of the many examples of why we really used to make the best cars in the world.

1) Engine and Transmission. The 6.75 litre R-R/Bentley warhorse is a pretty slow revving motor. Redline comes up at 4500rpm, at which point most modern petrol motors are just getting into their stride. The thing with the Bentley engine is that it just keeps pulling right from 500rpm all the way to that 4500rpm mark. At 3000rpm it really starts to sing, which is useful given that kickdown from 3rd to 2nd at motorway speeds generally drops you onto that engine speed. The transmission is the good ol' GM Turbo-Hydramatic 3spd auto, set up to blur the changes even more than the Americans would, with the shifter on the steering column rather than the console. It could probably pull another gear if it really wanted to - top speed of the Mulsanne S is about 120mph, maybe a tick under, and the engine feels as though it has plenty in reserve if it could just have another ratio to play with!
2) Handling and ride quality. Imprecise steering (which might just be a peculiarity of this car rather than indicative of the model), tyres not designed with throwing the car around in mind, and the knowledge that this isn't my car mean that I haven't really explored the limits of the chassis. It feels a bit like an older American muscle car in many ways, although the rear is much more stiffly sprung than most muscle cars due to the gas spheres in the design. Brake pedal feel is non-existent, thanks to the use of Citroen hydraulics to completely isolate the driver from the braking effort, and the ride is a bit sensitive to tyre pressures - you do need to get them exactly right (24psi front, 30psi back according to the handbook) for it to behave itself.
3) Build quality. This car is nearly 21 years old, and it shows. If the work that had been done to it over the years had been done right though, it would feel a little tighter than it does now. As it is, there are more than a few squeaks and rattles that we keep chasing around the cabin. Wind noise is a big factor at motorway speeds, the cabin doesn't really insulate you from it very well at all. Does give you a good indication of what speed you're doing though, as unless you keep your eyes glued to the speedometer you'd never know you were in license-losing territory.
4) Comfort. Aside from the aforementioned ride quality issues when you don't have the tyres pressurised correctly, it has to be one of the most supremely comfortable cars ever built. Mercs of the same era might ride a little better, but they'd wallow more than this car does. The seats are supportive, and there's enough adjustment to accommodate most sizes of driver unless you're either extremely tall or short.
5) Cost of ownership. You know the old adage about how with some cars you need to be able to afford to buy two in order to run one? That statement tends to be utter ******** when aired for most cars, but it's dead on for this one. Every single part that you look at and think "oh, a replacement for that won't cost too much" is hideously expensive. Fortunately we've been able to repair parts in many cases rather than replace them (drivers side mirror springs to mind), which meant that cash could be diverted to other jobs where replacing the part was absolutely necessary (like the drivers seat adjustment control unit, a fantastically expensive piece of kit).

Would I dissuade anyone from buying one of these if they wanted one? Nope. It's a fantastic car, and not only is it supremely competent at many things but it has bags of character as well. Ze Germans have never quite managed both competence and character in the same car all that many times, and never in the amounts that the Bentley has IMO. Would I spend my own money on one? Sure, if it was in better nick than this one was when we got it home. But at 6 grand, the price point that this car was at when my mate bought it.....not a chance. For far too long during the semi-restoration period we went through with this car it just kept kicking him square in his bits-and-pieces. I don't think he slept properly for the months leading up to the wedding where we needed the car to function correctly since it was bringing the bride to the ceremony! Every time we fixed something, another bodge made itself known or a weakness was highlighted somewhere else.

Case in point - the engine idled at 1500rpm when we picked it up, and the fuel mixture was very rich. We leaned it out, adjusted the idle to where it should be, and this should have been alright. But the idle and the mixture were set that high to take account of a lovely little problem that occurred when the engine was fully up to temperature - the revs would drop down below 200rpm, the fuel pump would cut off and the car would stall. It would do this when slowing down from motorway speeds to about 20mph, leaving you in the rather unenviable position of having to finish stopping all that car with no assistance on the brakes - actually, brakes that were fighting you never mind not assisting. Turned out to be a split vacuum hose ('repaired' with electrical tape :rolleyes:) on the engine that was causing knock-on effects all over the place.

I'll grab some photos with a digital camera when I can. Already taken a bunch with my camera today, but since it uses film rather than one of these new-fangled memory cards I need to get them developed. I'll also try and find my copy of some of the wedding photos with the car on, since it was a bit cleaner on that day!

For the tl;dr folks - I'm driving a Bentley at the moment, and it's quite good. No real point to the thread, just wanted to let you all know.

Borrowing a digital camera tomorrow to get some proper shots, will post as soon as I get them onto my computer.

Just took the car for another blast. Ever since I first clapped eyes on it, there's been a relay or something similar twittering behind the dashboard. I haven't heard a peep out of it since picking it up this morning, and the bloody thing just started up again on my way back into the village! Gotta love the curveballs these ~20yr old Bentleys pitch at you from time to time....

Honestly it sounds like you are describing a 50 year old car rather than a 20 year old one.

In many ways, it feels like a 50 year old design. Bits of it are, I guess - the brake design is pure '50s Citroen, the engine was designed for Noah's Ark, and despite being outwardly more modern it has some of the exact same characteristics of a '60s muscle car. Add to that a few years of botched maintenance and repairs, and you end up with a car like this one.

Can't wait to see the pics. Is it light champagne gold with black headlight surrounds like the one in Cannonball Run? :D

It better have a vinyl roof too :D

'fraid not :) Dark red, with the radiator shell and the front and rear valances painted body colour.

Going to drop it back off at his place tonight, will nip back up there to get pics in the morning.

Jez said:
Will be a very nice car when you get it all fixed, in a funny way i almost wish the new gen bentleys were more like these :)

I have to say, I'm not a great fan of the looks of the upcoming Mulsanne. It's one of those cars that the more I see of it the less I like it. I can see what they were trying to do with those headlamps....I just don't think it works. I expect it'll be awesome to drive and ride in, but I'm of the opinion that Bentley's styling department peaked with the Eight/Mulsanne/S/Turbo R line. It has just the right level of 'brute force and ignorance' about it. All IMO of course.

Quick shot of the car at the wedding back in August. Got to go run some errands up in Bretby and then I'll head round to get some fresh pictures and a few detail shots of stuff we still need to sort! Going to show my mate this thread while I'm at it, he needs his ego boosting regarding this car....

2413s42.jpg

I couldn't relax at all that day until we had the car parked back on the driveway. Bit of a nerve-wracker when a) the bride is going to the ceremony in a car that you've been working on for ages, b) you know that car still has the odd gremlin in the works and c) you're driving :eek: Luckily it all went without any issues whatsoever. The cars owner didn't even get to relax when the Bentley was back at home, since he was driving the groom's parents back to their hotel in one of his other cars (LWB XJ8)!

Right, some more photos. Only taken a few, couldn't stand to be outside in the gale any longer!

dsc01202e.jpg

dsc01203p.jpg

dsc01204c.jpg

dsc01205.jpg

As you can see, I got it a bit mucky yesterday. Bloody rain :(

dsc01206.jpg

dsc01207z.jpg

141k :eek:

dsc01208k.jpg

6.75L :D

dsc01209o.jpg

And finally....

dsc01210.jpg

As you can tell, I'll never make a decent photographer....

What is that, mechanical fuel injection?

Bosch K-Jetronic I believe. Motronic if you have a Turbo R, which would solve a few complications and add a few more with it!

Jez - the owner would ideally like to have the original plate back (an F-reg number, we've got the details in the file on the car I think). He doesn't have a problem showing the age of the car. But the current plate was on it when he bought it, and that's what is still on there.

I love that, something very "HMS Hood" about it! :D

Just been talking to my friend. He says that if it blows up like the Hood did, you can write his obituary!

As far as major jobs on the car go, we've only got a few left. After fixing the drivers door mirror the other day (we cut the connectors off and soldered new ones on in place), we're left with the following:

1) Seat memory buttons don't work
2) Rear window switch isolator switch needs replacing
3) Cosmetic stuff (like the rear bumper shown on a couple of the above photos)

1) and 2) require us to remove the centre console (or at least get it so it can be lifted up). This could be a nightmare, or it could be fairly straightforward. As soon as we get a break in the weather, we'll get after it.

Lovely!

Call me anal but the first thing you can do to improve its appearance is dead easy - re-mount the driver's side windscreen wiper so that it's nearer the bottom of the windscreen at rest! :p

Yeah, neither of them park exactly where they're designed to. Just one more on the list of jobs required to get the car back up to scratch. Speaking of the wipers, we really should see if we can get the intermittent setting working sometime....

Is that steering wheel standard? It's awful!

Yes, it's standard. As for the looks - personally I prefer it to the later style, but it needs a bit of work to make it look as good as it would have done new. My mate's already done some repairs to it, since a new one costs a ******* fortune and the money is needed elsewhere rather more!

Nah.

Rot-wise, there was a small patch on the right-hand sill. The engine was fine, aside from idle and mixture being completely on the ****. Yes, there were some electrical issues. Yes, there were some expensive bits to do - tie rod on one side, seat control unit, and the work on the body to get the sill and the major paint bits sorted (which could have been a lot more expensive) for example. But values for these cars fluctuate, and we seemed to catch this one at the lowest ebb a year ago. We couldn't get one now in that condition for the same price. This one will be worth far more than £6k by the time we're done.

My mate was still a bit peeved with this one though. Who the hell repairs a vacuum pipe with ******* electrical tape, then sets up the engine wrong in a half-arsed attempt to mask the fact? Who manages to wire up speakers wrongly (lets face it, you get a big connector and a little connector, it's pretty bloody hard to get them crossed!)? Who buggers up pieces of trim rather than refitting them properly, so it becomes nigh-on impossible to sort down the line? Apparently, this car was worked on by idiots. My mate and I have joked about the fact that we'd say a retarded 3-year old had worked on it, but it'd be unfair to retarded 3-year olds.

An update on the state of the car.

First off - the re-positioning of the wipers.

6tia12.jpg

5pep88.jpg

Looks a bit better. Though the pump for the screenwash took this opportunity to pack in - looks like a bad connection rather than a bad pump though.

And a new steering wheel.

29yqis8.jpg

ffcs9s.jpg

The owner reckons it's made the car easier to drive as the rim of the wheel is thicker, gives him a bit more control. Guess I'll try it out at some point myself, but I never had much trouble with the old wheel. This one is in much better nick than the old one though!

Stuff to sort - screenwash pump, final tweak to drivers door mirror, rear window inhibit switch, seat memory controls, coolant level probe, few more paint blemishes, leather on the drivers seat. And I still want to find out for sure what's making the mysterious twittering sound from behind the dashboard occasionally.

Meh, the wheels aren't that bad. I honestly prefer the look of the old one, the owner doesn't IIRC. And since he feels more in control of the car with the new one, then mission accomplished.

Scratch coolant level probe off the list of jobs to do, been done. Two less loose wires in the engine bay! Hopefully I'll get a quick drive in at the weekend. Want to try out the new steering wheel after what the owner has told me.

Seriously impressive stuff taking on this sort of car.

I was intrigued from your original description as to what it would look like. Really didn't expect to see the car in those pictures!! Looks superb :cool:

Do you have any examples of the comedy Bentley parts pricing? I want to know quite how mad your friend is :p.

Take the alternator. I know for a fact that it's just an ordinary Delco item inside. But because it's for a Bentley, you have to pay £600 + VAT and delivery. Over £600, for an alternator. *sigh*

Body parts aren't cheap, glass is eye-wateringly expensive, and electrical stuff like switch panels and motors sent us down the route of mending rather than replacing since we'd spend all of his money.

Did they use magents to hold the trim together like they do in modern day Bentleys? If so, does it rattle ? :p

Not much in the way of rattles. Trim inside is generally held on by self-tappers or brass screws and cup washers. Trim outside is held on with clips, of which we have plenty of spares now!

I've hesitated to post about this, since repeating the story a few times seems to cause my mate a bit of pain, but....eh, why not? :)

After we got the drivers door mirror sorted between us, my dear demented friend decided that the other mirror would benefit from a bit of maintenance. So he took it apart, made sure the motors were completely free to move, and so on. Then it came to refitting everything. In a spectacularly unlucky move, he got the centre ball-and-socket connection attached first (the mirror glass attaches to a plastic backing plate with sockets, the motors have lever arms with ball joints on their ends, and there's a centre ball on the motor mount corresponding to the centre socket). If you get the centre in first, you can't do the other two. Unfortunately, the mirror glass cracked as soon as he tried to detach the assembley from the centre.

D'oh! New glass is ~£66 + VAT and del. Botheration.

A call to a very good and friendly parts supplier for Bentleys and Royces that we use has sorted the car out with some mirror glass for a little less than that (though still not exactly pennies). Another problem seems to have kicked up in the meantime though - the old girl has taken this moment to start running rough again. We'll whip the plugs out just to see if there's anything obvious wrong, but I'm putting it down to the weather and an imperfectly set-up engine right now.

Was the issue with the Mirror actually a fault with the mirror itself then?

I'm not sure how it differs on Mulsanne cars, but on Spirit/Turbo R cars the mirror movement is linked in with the driver's Seat ECU. When you mentioned the seat adjustment and mirror issues together, I assumed it was a seat ECU problem!

As near as I can tell, the system went through several designs. Initially, the mirror controls weren't tied into the seat memory unit. On this car, it was simply a gummed up motor preventing the drivers door mirror from adjusting correctly (though we re-did the wiring from mirror to inside the door as we weren't happy with it).

JRS, I think your friend's would look much better with the mesh grill, I’m not a fan of the old 80s vertical one, but none the less, looks really good still.

Several problems with going to the mesh look.

1) It makes the car look like a Bentley Eight (ah, snobbery....), or like you're trying to make an older Bentley look like a much later one. I think we went far enough with the colour coding, I've seen people even fit later panels, bumpers, lights....
2) The mesh, if you don't bodge it with chicken wire as some car restoration TV shows might do and use a proper matrix grill assembly from a parts supplier like Montague & Co or Flying Spares, costs over £700. And that money could be spent on much better stuff. Like fuel.

:D

So, the plugs were taken out the other day. All of them bar one was coated in carbon deposits. The other was coated in carbon deposits AND a little bit of other muck from having not been tightened in properly and causing some leakage. New plugs back in (utter nightmare getting to the ones at the firewall end of the engine, so much stuff in the way). Car running okay. I then took it on an extended run to Brum airport and back to a) pick my parents up and b) give it a proper run rather than just a jaunt down the A38 to the Barton turn and back. Car running very okay.

Guess we found the source of the twittering sound anyway. As I said, the plug in cylinder 4 (think it was 4) wasn't in very tight when we came to take it out. Presumably what we could hear when the car was cold and the throttle opened was the leakage around it. I can't reproduce the sound any more, and all we did was change the plugs, so it's a fair bet that the loose one had something to do with it!

My mate phoned up his preferred parts supplier again today (Montague and Co in Bramley, Surrey). New bonnet insulation is on order, along with a few other bits IIRC. Mirror glass for the passenger side is on order now in flat glass and no heater spec - the heater does the best part of naff all anyway, and flat glass rather than convex seems the best way forward given that it matches what was on there. Next step - setting up the engine properly now that the plugs are all good and everything else on the engine has been fixed/tightened down/cleaned/sorted (delete as appropriate).

Got to give a quick shout-out to Montague and Co here. I know Flying Spares seems to be the favoured place when media types talk about restoring Bentleys and Royces, but Monty's place (Phil Montague) would be my first port of call*. Friendly, knowledgable, and haven't come close to letting us down in any of the multitude of purchases we've had to make so far :D

* - If I could afford a Bentley rather than a Fiat Seicento that is.

*sigh*

So, the car went for a bit of work the other day. Bonnet insulation has been sourced and now fitted, screenwash pump sorted, the bonnet alignment was slightly off and this has now been improved. Car is fired up to go home, and.....idle speed of ~250rpm, and it stalled as soon as the owner tried to pull away.

Bonnet up, and a mighty crank on the idle adjustment screw got it to stay running long enough to get home, where we did some quick-and-dirty set-up work with the mixture and idle to try and get it sorted. Not really right yet, but better than it was earlier today. Gotta love old Bentleys!

So, updates.

1) The engine has been set up again. Turns out we were waaaaaaaaaaay off-base with our attempts at doing it. Our friendly neighbourhood lunatic mechanic Scott went ahead and sorted it. Running very well now.

2) The rear bumper is off for some fettling. If you look at some of the photos earlier in the thread you can see where it's been mis-shapen and damaged over the years. Rear end doesn't look great without the bumper:

ad263p.jpg

Should look mighty fine with it back on having been fixed though! Repairs are ongoing, but it looks really good. Both endcaps have been straightened and repaired, the metal trim has been sorted....everything should go back where it's supposed to now.

3) More bodywork has been done. Specifically, left-side doors and part of the rear quarter panel on that side. Smoothed out the wrinkles (they were pretty obvious in some light levels, so definitely needed immediate attention), and paint matched up. The other side will need doing eventually, but right now a ******* good polish will do just about as much good. The paintshop did find evidence of several resprays, mind. We think this might be the 4th time those panels have had paint over the years.

4) Boot lock has been sorted. The owner and I had a bit of a tiff over this. He was being a moody twit saying it wasn't fixed at all after it came back. I left him to his own devices in the pub, went over to his house, opened the car up, opened up the fusebox and pushed the central locking reset switch. Job done :)

5) So, state of play. We've got to get the centre console up to look at the seat memory switches and replace the rear window isolator switch. We've got to get the leather on the front seats (drivers seat in particular) brought back up to scratch. Refit the bumper obviously. And then....well, that would be about it. Oh yes, and some of the door and window rubbers need doing. And it might be an idea to look at some new tyres next year. And we've got to add some insulation behind the door cards, sort out the drive belts for the engine bay (no aircon belt ATM as we finally twigged that the one on there was the wrong size :rolleyes:), maybe look at the rear screen and see if we can't sort the laminate out, sort out once and for all that God damned twittering sound coming from behing the dashboard (!!!)....

Could be worse I guess. No matter how many things keep cropping up with this car, we've got nothing on this poor sod's Charger....

Back
Top Bottom